Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DHCP Client Malfunctioning

1K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Bob Cerelli 
#1 ·
I need help to either repair or replace my malfunctioning DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) Client. When it's running, I cannot shut down my computer by simply going to START=>TURN OFF COMPUTER. When I do this, the computer hangs. To get around it, I have to CTRL/ALT/DEL to get Windows Task Manager. From there if I log-off the user, I can shut down the computer.

Also, since this problem came up, I cannot access the Windows Update pages. When I attempt to do this, the computer hangs. Again, I have to open up Windows Task Manager and use "End Task" under the "Application" tab to manually shut down Internet Explorer.

The problem started in December when I downloaded Service Pack 2 for Windows XP. Later that same day, I decided to purchase and download Norton Internet Security 2005 to update my 2003 versions of Norton AntiVirus and Norton Explorer. The update failed to install properly. It was after that that I discovered the shut down and Windows Update problems.

I have since removed all of my Symantec / Norton products to eliminate them as potential problems. Initially I thought it was an operating system problem, so I initially posted a thread to the "Windows NT/2000/XP" section of Tech Support Guy Forums. (The thread is titled "Windows XP SP2 Lock-up Problems" if you want to check it out.) Acting on advice I recieved there, I opened up msconfig and managed to isolate the problem to DHCP Client.

Now that I know it's an IP address problem, I decided to start a new thread here. What can I do to repair or replace DHCP Client on my computer?

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
I understand what you want me to do, but I don't know any static IP addresses. Can you provide me with a few examples? If so, I'll work with them and let you know what the results are. Thanks!

Discussion starter · #5 ·
I'm sorry to be dense. I collected the computer's IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and DNS information, but I couldn't find the place where I could enter it manually. Can you direct me?

Discussion starter · #7 ·
I'm sorry it took me so long to get to a place where I could try out your experiment... I'll be able to work on it all this week.

When I statically enter in the IP address information, my Internet connection works properly. Where do we go from here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.