Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As u can tell my desktop bakground has become locked. The "list" of pre-set backgrounds is unavailable--I can see the list but cant click on anything.(the list that has ascent; autumn;azul and all that on it) I have changed it previously so I think I know what I'm doing. At one point the background became white and now it stays that way. can anyone help??

·
Banned
2,092 Posts
mattyro said:
As u can tell my desktop bakground has become locked. The "list" of pre-set backgrounds is unavailable--I can see the list but cant click on anything.(the list that has ascent; autumn;azul and all that on it) I have changed it previously so I think I know what I'm doing. At one point the background became white and now it stays that way. can anyone help??
This worked for someone at another forum if you are brave enough to go into the registry.

It sounds like your Registry utility modified one or more Registry settings to forbid changing the wallpaper. This prevents the user from making changes but doesn't stop other programs from doing so. Even when this restriction is in place, you can still change the wallpaper by right-clicking on an image on a Web page and choosing Set As Desktop Background.

To lift the wallpaper ban, launch REGEDIT by typing its name in the Start menu's Run dialog. Navigate to the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop. Look in the right-hand pane for a value named NoChangingWallpaper. If it's present, double-click on it and change its data to 0.

But wait; there's more. In the key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
Windows\CurrentVersion\ Policies\System, look for values named Wallpaper and WallpaperStyle. If these are present, delete them. You may need to reboot after making these changes, but once you've done so, you'll again be able to set whatever image you like as the desktop background.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.