Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i need a second opinion for a friend,

"in your opinion is a Dell good and would you buy one?" i have told her my opinion but she wants another,

thanks in advance for al your input,

michael :D

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Problem is you don't offer any alternatives. Dell, yes or no. If it's Dell vs. HP I'd vote one way or Dell vs. a mom & pop purchase I'd vote another.

There's just no way to answer that for most of us. Of the on-line suppliers Dell's hard to beat but.....

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
Don't buy any big name puter. I have learned the hardest way there is.
The only name brand computer I would consider owning after I kill this one is a Micron, now MPC. At least they don't use propriety crap. But they are expensive, with a good reason. Quality. My two cents.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
YOUR NOT GOING TO GET A GOOD POLL HERE, MANY PEOPLE ON TSG ARE BUILD YOUR OWN OR CUSTOM BUILT PEOPLE, PROBABLY NOT A GOOD CROSS SECTION. MY BIGGEST PROBLEM WITH DELL IS GOING TO BE SERVCE, I LIKE THE MA & PA SHOPS FOR THAT ASPECT OF PC OWNERSHIP, THE THOUGHT OF PACKING UP MY PC TO SEND TO PARTS UNKNOWN IS UNACCEPTABLE.
P.S. SORRY BOUT CAPS

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
For your friend Dell should be fine. As previously mentioned, alot of us build our own, so obviously Dell is not good for US...But I think the poll was more meant as advice for the posters friend, not our own opinion.

For John or Jane Doe, who doesn't know what an AMD processor is, Dell is hard to beat. IMO, anyways.

·
Registered
14,017 Posts
Brite750, you have a point but there is a reason I am anti bigboy computers. I have owned 7 bigboys, and the ONLY one that I had NO problems with was my micron.
If I needed ram, I could buy it anywhere. If I needed a power supply, same thing.
I am at this moment running an HP, which in my opinion is about 1/2 a millimeter above or below a Dell depending on how you look at it.
If you are willing to pay 1400-1500 bucks for a computer from MPC, thats fine. But you can get a local build with the same features for about 800-900 bucks.
I hate this HP, but it is not outdated and after wiping the hard drive and installing XP pro it isn't that bad.
It only has a 200 watt power supply, and I can't find one to upgrade it. That sux. :(

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Well, Back in June when my Dell arived , and for several months after I would have sworn by Dell. Now..... I'm dying to build my own. If your friend is not a "fixing stuff" kind of person, and doesn't know ANYONE who could fix her system, Dell has a good warranty - they come to your house to fix it. But It's SO much cheaper to just build your own. I'm paying over $1100 for a basic system. & If she likes to fix things, she'll learn a lot, and have fun putting one together- Although she really should get some help the first time out.

Also Dell support sucks ( and that's putting it nicely) I installed a second Hard drive the other night, and couldn't figure out how to get the box the HD went into out of the pc. Well, I called & the guy said it has to come out from the front. (there are 2 tabs that hold it still) But there are also 4 screws & several other tabs the idiot didn't tell me about. Once I found the first screw it took me about twenty minutes to get everything back together. If he didn't know he should have just told me!

Anyway that would be a vote for "build your own" unless you don't know anyone & will never know anyone that can help you.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Depends on what you're buying.

I bought a Dell Inspiron 8500 Notebook from them and couldn't have been happier with it. I also had a few tech problems with it due to my little brother, and I don't know if I got someone who was bilingual or what, but it sure didn't sound like they were in India. ;)

If you're going to buy a pre-built system or laptop/notebook, Dell is second only to high quality gaming rigs like Voodoo or Alienware....but, because these computers are such high quality, as well as the Alienware and Voodoo name being a sign of status...you can expect to pay a hefty price tag on either of them...and they don't give rebates, and deals like Dell does.

The best system is the one you build yourself...a homebrew PC. Waaaaay cheaper too. But if you don't have the experience, or are worried you couldn't build it...I'd say Dell is a pretty safe buy. I would advise buying the Complete Care warranty as well as the standard one if you're purchasing a laptop or notebook; as it covers any accidental spills or drops that may occur with a portable system, as well as normal wear and tear.

Dell's a pretty safe buy. :up:

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I bought a Dell when My last computer died a horrible power spike and cooked everything except the processor and ram. While it worked and allowed me to get on line, I was not able to upgrade the way I liked. So I built my own system.

If I were to get a Laptop/Notebook, I would probably look seriously at Dell again.

And If someone wanted to sell their Dell to me really really cheap I might buy it for a turn around profit.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Originally posted by dustyjay:
I bought a Dell when My last computer died a horrible power spike and cooked everything except the processor and ram. While it worked and allowed me to get on line, I was not able to upgrade the way I liked. So I built my own system.

If I were to get a Laptop/Notebook, I would probably look seriously at Dell again.

And If someone wanted to sell their Dell to me really really cheap I might buy it for a turn around profit.
That's basically my opinion in a nutshell. I know how to build a notebook/laptop PC from prior experiences messing around and tinkering with my own, but I can't seem to find an online vendor of laptop and notebook hardware. Especially the chassis. I think that the makers of the parts might keep it that way so they don't have a bunch of homebrew notebooks like they do desktops, and lose sales. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
5,837 Posts
I voted to recommend the Dell simply because there were no other options. In a contest between all the big box builders, Dell is, IMHO, the lesser of all the evils out there. All the big boxes have substandard CS (and that's generous) and as far as I'm concerned, the only thing they really have going for them is the bundled software packages. That's a nebulous and short lived advantage. This is not to say I recommend Dell. I, too, prefer to build a home built or even a mom and pop built.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Originally posted by griffinspc:
Must of been a Dell keyboard brite :D :D
No, I was at work (draftsman) everything in caps, I was typing away, and looked up, said explitive, too lazy to rewrite the thing so what the hay. Keyboard was a Dell though, think about it.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.