Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Dell notebook that I'm working on [same machine referred to in "GTGina.dll NIGHTMARE" posted earlier today] just won't restart after being shutdown. It must sit for, oh, I guess about 10 or 15 minutes before it will start again. When the power button is pressed, lights come on for about 5 seconds and stop. I just pull the plug, slide the battery out and wait. Anyone familiar with this? Had hoped that the .dll fix would help that as well, but no such luck. Thanks!

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
You have an overheating problem from what you are saying here. Do you hear the fans running at anytime?

Also some system specs would be nice on this computer if you could?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry Oz for just getting back. It's a Dell Inspiron 1100 with a Celeron 2.4 and 256mb of RAM—and I know many of them have the fan/overheating problem. This, however, I think is different because the machine can be on for only two or three minutes and it won't turn back on. I had gone in after seeing a "zillion" things launch at boot and unchecked a few items under the STARTUP tab in MSCONFIG and shut down (instead of restarting, which is what I should've done...which only worked once thereafter) and tried booting again to no avail. I can feel air flowing around the fan so I'm pretty sure it's working. The switch itself doesn't seem to have a problem. It's got a mind of it's own (don't they all...).

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a problem with my dell, the power socket had worked loose from the mother board. This resulted in the battery slowly discharging until the laptop switched off. Attempts to switch it back on again were succesful depending on how long the socket made a good contact for when the power was plugged back in.

Check for movement in the power socket.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just got a chance to get back to that Dell and the plug is snug. I'm hoping someone can think of something I can fix in the BIOS or something because I really hate taking notebooks apart. Desktops are one thing, but the surgery required to get into these babies, depending on the brand and model, can be really frustrating. And the kicker is that everything else with this machine is fine. If the darn thing would just play nice...

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just jumpin' to the front page again to see if anyone can help with this laptop problem. Any thoughts would be appreciated. With respect to the overheating issue, normally, how long does the computer need to be on to overheat? Cuz this baby won't start again after just a few minutes.

·
Registered
11,849 Posts
Here is a program that can check the temps please run it and post the results after the laptop has been on for 10 minutes or longer.

SpeedFan is a freeware program that monitors voltages, fan speeds and temperatures
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Often times, for whatever reason, some of the machines that I work on will not see the network, despite efforts. If this Dell will see the network, I'll try downloading that program and see what we find. In the meantime, I've changed various power settings hoping that might resolve the problem. With fingers crossed, I then tried rebooting after shutdown but no change. I'm about ready to take this puppy apart...which I dread. Laptops are jigsaw puzzles...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.