Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have a Dell Latitude D800 laptop that's about 3 1/2 years old. It no longer charges or even recognizes that it is plugged into the wall. Luckily, one of my roomates has the same laptop so with some experimentation, we were able to figure some stuff out. My battery and AC Adapter are fine, his computer acts completely normal and even charges my battery when using them both. My computer runs normally except for the fact it only runs off the battery.

I unknowingly ran my battery all the way down; it would not charge. I put the battery in his computer, charged it, and now my computer can continue to run off the battery. I was told by a friend that there was probably something wrong with the power supply on the motherboard. I just wanted your input before seeking repairs so I know what to expect. Do you think the repairs will be lengthy/expensive? Do you think I'll be able to find a place to repair this Dell laptop without having to mail the laptop to Dell? FYI: my warranty expired about 6 months ago. Thanks and happy holidays.

·
Premium Member
52,926 Posts
Its possible the jack on the back of the laptop is broken where the adapter plugs in, that commonly happens. If thats the case it may just need to be re-soldered on or the jack be replaced. That shouldn't be a very expensive replace. But if its something else then it likely won't be worth fixing, ie. the motherboard.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.