Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Dell D07S Xeon Workstation that will power on but won't get very far, so no display. The machine currently has no hard drive or CD attached but I reckon I should be able to get to the BIOS at least.

My problem is that even without the CPU it acts pretty much the same i.e. powers on and just sits there seemingly doing nothing (in essence, its behaviour is the same whether there is a CPU installed or not). There are no audible beeps (POST) and I'm unable to confirm if there is an onboard speaker.

I have tried removing the onboard battery and unplugging the system for a couple of hours in case the BIOS had some bad settings or something but no improvement.

My problem is essentially that I have no way to test a machine that doesn't even get as far as POST/BIOS.

I'm going to follow the advice in the post at the top of this sub-forum but, in the meantime, any specific advice appreciated :)

James

·
Trusted Advisor
127,420 Posts
Are there troubleshooting LEDs on this model?

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Does that mean you don't have an os installed either?
No. No hard drive or CD but the machine should still reach the BIOS or show some other activity :)

Are there troubleshooting LEDs on this model?
I found a manual on the DELL site and the main switch light is steady white which simply shows the system is on. I will have to check the system tonight when I return home to see if there are any LEDs showing (I don't recall any).

Thanks

James

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Makes it tougher.
It does. I don't even have a low profile graphics card I can put in it in case that's what's broken. Shame, it would have made a nice little server if I could have made it work.

Looks like it's heading component-wise to eBay ... I just need to find a way to test said components first :)

Thanks for your help anyway :)

James

p.s. Turns out it has an internal speaker, and it isn't beeping, so I can only assume that despite appearances to the contrary, the system board is non-functional. On a slightly better note, I have an old ASUS P8Z77 system which takes DDR3, so I might be able to test the memory in that.

·
Trusted Advisor
127,420 Posts
Yeah, replacing components, or testing them elsewhere, is about the only option here.

Reactions: JamesCRocks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, replacing components, or testing them elsewhere, is about the only option here.
I've posted a version of this in the DELL Community forum.

Again, thanks for your help :)

James

·
Trusted Advisor
127,420 Posts
Sorry I couldn't be of more help ...

Good luck!

Reactions: JamesCRocks

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
any update? What is the service tag?
There's nothing else :)

I posted a query in the DELL community but no answer so now I'm inclined to test components and sell them since a non-functional machine is very little use to me :)

James

1 - 12 of 12 Posts