Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn on my Dell CPX laptop on it goes to the setup screen. When in the booting screen is pauses. Sometime hitting the space bar frees it up so it continues booting. When it goes to the setup screen, the keyboard does not function. It keeps reverting to the wrong time if I can even change it. Other times, after several attempts it will boot. The keyboard still does not function. I have tried several hard drives with different operating systems. Same result. Also, when booted, the help screen keeps popping up and it “dings.” I have tested it with several virus detection software, it is clean. It has the latest bios. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
17,584 Posts
If the time is being lost it sounds like the CMOS setup is not being kept, probably due to a failed CMOS battery on the motherboard.

Replace the battery. Its probably a job for a service agent unless you are skilled at microsurgery...

·
Registered
3,992 Posts
Yes the CMOS battery may be bad. Since pushing on the space bar sometimes gets it going I would try reseating the keyboard connector to the the motherboard. Its a thin plastic cable and has been known to not make a good connection after a while. You will need to remove all the screws on the back marked with a K and pry up gently on the blank key. Be extra careful not to knock any keytops off as they are a pain to replace.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.