Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately my computer has been going slower than usual, and I am having problems defragmenting my computer. I do a Disk Cleanup, it runs and then when it's finished I go to Disk Defragmenter. After I hit analyze, it runs for about 3 seconds, and then an error stating "Defragmentation of (C:] has been aborted due to inconsistencies that were detected in the filesystem. Please run CHKDSK or SCANDISK on (C:] to repair these inconsistencies, then run disk defragmenter again. (I changed (C: ) to (C:] to avoid smiley faces)

Now, I looked everywhere, and I do not have "scandisk", I even searched for it using window's handy search tool. When I run CHKDSK it only goes through 2 of 3 steps, I never see the third step take place.

What I've done so far; Removed many programs I no longer us, rebooted several times. I'm not sure what else I would have to do. I'm running another Disk Cleanup, cleaning many more of the files, there are some I did not cleanup before.

Thanks to anyone who has anything to tell me. I appreciate it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Neither CHECKDISK nor SCNDSK appear to be working. (Says they do not exist). How do I go about reformatting my computer, it has been a year.[This is the last thing I want to try] :p

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Double click on My Computer . . RIght click on the drive . . select Properties . . click on Tools tab. . then the Check Now button . . put a check in both boxes and tell it to check on next start.

Reboot to check the disc

·
Deceased Moderator Gone but never forgotten
82,272 Posts
I open a command window (Start - Run - cmd - OK) and run
chkdsk /F

It immediately tells me it can't run 'cause somebody else is using C: and do I want to run it on the next restart. I respond Y and then Restart. I don't watch it run, so don't know if it displays any useful information.

The /F is for "fix" any errors.

I think this is the same as simpswr's way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
simpswr said:
Double click on My Computer . . RIght click on the drive . . select Properties . . click on Tools tab. . then the Check Now button . . put a check in both boxes and tell it to check on next start.

Reboot to check the disc
I just did what you said. It said the files were clean. I tried defragmenting, and I received the same error again. I'm somewhat worried now >.<. Oh, and hello again Terrynet :)

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
rfzbaker said:
Alright. Ive never backed up files before. (I'm sure i'll figure it out :rolleyes: )
Man . . you live dangererously . . Data not backed up is data you do not care to keep!

What is drive diagnostics from the drive manufacturer,
The drive manufacturers have diagnostics that you can download . . first find out what brand the drive is, then go to their website for the diagnostics.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Better idea. As long as you have your windows restore cd, your in good shape.

Go to start > run > cmd> and then type in 'sfc /scannow' .... this will search ure computer for errors and fix them.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
s4baz said:
Better idea. As long as you have your windows restore cd, your in good shape.

Go to start > run > cmd> and then type in 'sfc /scannow' .... this will search ure computer for errors and fix them.
Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
(C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

It reads the following:

C:\Documents and Settings\My Name>sfc /scannow
'sfc' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

C:\Documents and Settings\My name>

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,283 Posts
Try a defrag again.

If there are still errors in the disk structure it will refuse to run.

I don't think a SFC run will resolve defrag refusing to run due to disk errors.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
WhitPhil said:
Try a defrag again.

If there are still errors in the disk structure it will refuse to run.

I don't think a SFC run will resolve defrag refusing to run due to disk errors.
If I click Analyze, it gets to 35%. If I click defrag, it gets to 95%. But, still getting the error.

·
Registered
10,313 Posts
Backup your data . . run the drive diagnostics . . SFC will only correct missing or corrupt windows system files . . does nothing for drive defects ( which your drive would seem to have )

·
Gone but never forgotten
9,283 Posts
Have you done basic housecleaning first?

Deleted browser cache?
Deleted Temp files?
Emptied Recycle bin?

Also, when you ran with the /F switch, you DID you through a restart?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
simpswr said:

Reboot to check the disc
The first time i ran this step, i noticed it did not run long. I repeated this step, and it literally took a while for it to do something. It repaired some files, and scanned everything like i thought it was supposed to. Everything appears to be working properly now. Thank you very much for your help. Sorry for any frustration :) I fell asleep during the scan and my girlfriend called to wake me up, it was at 95% at final step. *Happily Yawns

·
Registered
611 Posts
try downloading crap cleaner.. it can boost system performance tremendously: ccleaner.com

also, are u in the black box when u type in "sfc /scannow" ?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.