Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would be better?

Also, I'd like to shut down everything running in Taskbar Manager that I don't absolutely have to have during the defrag. What do I need to leave running?

Thanks much,
Harold

· Super Moderator
46,758 Posts
By far xp's built in defrag. It is based on a lite version of diskkeeper. IMO anything made by symantec should be uninstalled or never installed in the first place.

· Registered
3,372 Posts
CRJ,

Well that's a bit harsh....although I don't use any Symantec products either :D

But isn't Speedisk a little different than Defrag :confused: I was under the impression that it arranged files on the drive based on Frequency of access...placing high activity files on "speedier" portions, and grouped together.

The result 'supposedly' giving benefit beyond a defrag.

· Registered
784 Posts
I agree with crjdriver.

The only Norton product worth installing would be their Corporate Antivirus software, other than that....stay away.

· Super Moderator
46,758 Posts
I have just seen too many systems that had some form of symantec software installed [and had problems that could be traced to the software] It is somewhat difficult [at times] to uninstall it. I have just never seen a need to pay for something [norton av] when avg does a better job for free.

Again this is just my opinion. Others may like symantec products.

· Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
crjdriver said:
I have just seen too many systems that had some form of symantec software installed [and had problems that could be traced to the software] It is somewhat difficult [at times] to uninstall it. I have just never seen a need to pay for something [norton av] when avg does a better job for free.

Hmm. Thanks for bringing this up, but that's kind of discouraging. I bought the program to solve problems, not cause them. It has definitely caused me some hassles in the past and now I'm wondering if should I be using it at all.

I'd be most interested in reading other opinions on this.

Thanks,
Harold

· Registered
1,176 Posts
I agree with removing all Symantec programs. They should pay the customer for using their junk because of the time needed to fix problems they cause.

If you don't like WinXP defrag, try Perfectdisk. It has a free trial that is a fully operating version and I believe it is for 30 days.

· Registered
472 Posts
I'm curious, I use Norton Utilites about once a month...WinDoctor to be exact. I haven't personally had problems with it, but I know a few people who have had serious issues. I too have been looking for something else. I've been thinking about picking up a copy of TrendMicro's HouseCall, but I am interesting in a program similar to WinDoctor. It is a nice little cleanup that makes me feel good when I run it. Any suggestions?

· Registered
739 Posts
crjdriver said:

Hmm, i went to AVG's homepage(www.grisoft.com) and all i see is 30 day trials software, nothing free ?
Correction
I found a link to the free version on google, strange you can't find it at their homepage ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.