Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused: Hi. I've been having problems with my computer off and online mostly when I right click something, then I get an IE error message box which leads to a blue screen and then another error message box.
I've tried to do a "C" drive defrag and about 92-97% of the way thru, I get a message that says:

"Windows cannot defrag this drive because it cannot access part of the drive. To repair your drive, click ScanDisk (Thorough option) and then try to defrag again."

Soooo.... I try the ScanDisk and it just keeps starting over and over. At one point it said I have things running in the background and should shut them down first and try again.

I was told it could be something from the internet that accessed my computer. Sounds too weird to me. Any help or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.
Thanks,
Snowblinde

·
Registered
25 Posts
yeah, safemode would be best.
if it still restarts, unplug your ethernet cord. might be sending packets back and forth making your hdd change and thus resarting it.

also remove junk from ad-aware and spybot. if you havent.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It says to hold the control key down while I restart the computer then select safe mode. It won't do that. My screen just turns black. Not to seem ignorant, but where's the ethernet cord? Did the ad-aware thing... it's fine.
Snowblinde

·
Registered
49,014 Posts
To enter the safe mode you will need to reboot the computer and before windows98 starts to load (i.e. just after the memory test is completed, hold down the CNTRL key on the keyboard.

The following Safe Mode screen will appear.

Microsoft Windows 98 Startup Menu
==========================

1. Normal
2. Logged (\BOOTLOG.TXT)
3. Safe mode
4. Step-by-step confirmation
5. Command prompt oly
6. Safe mode command prompt only
7. Previous version of MS-DOS

·
Registered
25 Posts
Snowblinde said:
It says to hold the control key down while I restart the computer then select safe mode. It won't do that. My screen just turns black. Not to seem ignorant, but where's the ethernet cord? Did the ad-aware thing... it's fine.
Snowblinde
Jus assuming you had dsl or cable. you might have been getting data sent to your comp.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh yea, my neighbor basically said aliens were invading my computer. I almost believe it. So please, please tell me... how do i back up the critical data. I'm afraid my computer's about to crash. Don't want to lose all my stuff. Thanks
Snow

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
If you are not sure what is critical or not I would:

Get a new hard drive
Set it up as the new primary master
FDISK and Format if necessary
Install the operating system
Install the old drive as a slave
Copy the entire contents of the old drive to something like C:\OLD_DRIVE

Left out all the specifics on how to do each step since it would be a very long reply. But at least this way you have everything that retrievable from the old hard drive. More than you likely will need but it's better than less.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Geez, my computer's so old, it seems like I should just get a new one ASAP. That's part of the plan anyway. Meanwhile, I think I'll just get everything off this beast that I can. Any other suggestions are always welcome.
Thanks
Snow

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.