Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Samsung 205BW monitor yesterday. I hooked it up to my eMachines T6524 via DVI. This did not work. So, I hooked it up via VGA. This did not work. So I then hooked it up VGA with a DVI adapter and it works. I have an NVIDIA 6800 XT Graphics card with 256 MB of vram and 2 DVI ports. My eMachines has 2 DVI ports as well. Is this monitor defective or something? + right out of the box 3-5 dead pixels.

·
Registered
120 Posts
orangevv said:
I just purchased a Samsung 205BW monitor yesterday. I hooked it up to my eMachines T6524 via DVI. This did not work. So, I hooked it up via VGA. This did not work. So I then hooked it up VGA with a DVI adapter and it works. I have an NVIDIA 6800 XT Graphics card with 256 MB of vram and 2 DVI ports. My eMachines has 2 DVI ports as well. Is this monitor defective or something? + right out of the box 3-5 dead pixels.
hahaha return the monitor man its no good

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Actually, depending on the specific manufacturer, anywhere from three to ten dead pixels are considered "normal". You need to check the specifications in detail to see what is acceptable for this monitor and manufacturer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ya i checked its like 20 or something stupid and i guess the dvi and vga crap is just my computer because i tried it on a laptop. My computer is really retarded i don't know whats wrong

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, yes, most laptops don't have a DVI output, so you need the DVI<->VGA adapter.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
True, if your laptop does have a DVI output, you obviously don't need the adapter. ;)

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
orangevv said:
So, I hooked it up via VGA. This did not work. So I then hooked it up VGA with a DVI adapter and it works.
Sounds like he hooked it up to a VGA port... but then he said he only has DVI ports... I get the feeling we're missing some info here.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
The DVI <-> VGA adapter connects to a DVI port on the video card and converts it to VGA. I use one here on a dual-monitor system.

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
I would try another monitor to make sure this isn't your computer (it sounds like it is). I still would like to know where you found a VGA port, because I'm confused about what kind of setup you have (you've talked about five different ports). It sounds to me like you have the nVidia video card with two DVI connections and you tried your motherboard's onboard VGA connection, which probably won't work if you have a video card. Just because the digital signal from the DVI port isn't being "broadcast" doesn't mean that the analog signal won't work with a VGA adapter. In this case, it boils down to looking like the analog passthrough of your DVI ports is working, but the digital isn't. This is probably a setting, and not a physical problem with the video card.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.