Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed and then uninstalled outlook 97. After it was removed I tried making gmail my default mail client following their instructions. I now get the error message

"Could not perform this operation because the default mail client is not properly installed."

I tried going to internet options and choosing a new email service but that space is blank and there are no choices in the drop down menu and one cannot type one in.

I also ran regedit. I was able to get to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\
but could not find HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Classes\mailto

I would like to be able to use gmail as my default mail client. If anyone can help that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Retired Administrator
103,703 Posts
Hi and welcome. Gmail can't be a default mail client.

You need to open a web page and go to gmail.com in order to see your emails unless you are using Outlook, Outlook Express, or Windows Mail, etc.

·
Banned
5,251 Posts
As AcaCandy mentioned you have to use any of the desktop clients available as a "default" client. On that client you can set up just Gmail as the only email account on that client making it the defacto default email client.

To do all that go to your Gmail account and under settings follow the instructions for setting up the IMAP email service option on the desktop email client of your choice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.