Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way that a home computer user can extract files from a crashed hard drive? It is a Maxtor 160 GB SATA. Hard Drive diagnosis identifies the drive by it's number, 64160M0 -Fail Return code 7. I can tell by the sound that my computer is trying to read the drive but it just comes up with "disk read error". I really doubt that another computer could read it as a slave.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
It depends on how crashed it is. You could put it in another computer as a slave and see if it shows up as a second drive. If it does you could extract files that way.

·
Registered
20,583 Posts
kingofburdocks said:
Is there a way that a home computer user can extract files from a crashed hard drive? It is a Maxtor 160 GB SATA. Hard Drive diagnosis identifies the drive by it's number, 64160M0 -Fail Return code 7. I can tell by the sound that my computer is trying to read the drive but it just comes up with "disk read error". I really doubt that another computer could read it as a slave.
Hi kingofburdocks,

Read post #5 here: http://forums.techguy.org/t378898.html
and pay special attention to qldit's post. You may just be able to resurrect the crashed hard drive from the ashes (like a phoenix)!

-- Tom

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.