Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may be a difficult, even impossible, question to answer, but..... I read many stories about the 'risks' of printer servers being incompatible with printers. How widespread is this problem in reality?

I have a small network of a wireless router, a laptop (wireless), a desktop PC (wired), a laser printer connected to the desktop (parallel port) and sometimes an inkjet connected in its place. This all works fine, but of course the laptop can only print when the desktop is powered up. To get round this, and also enable me to relocate the printers, I want to introduce a wireless print server to support both printers.

Needing to support a parallel connection, I am thinking of the D-Link DP-G321 (1 parallel + 2 USB ports). Also, my other network kit is D-Link, so this would keep it all from the same 'family'. D-Link tell me that my printer models have not been tested by them, so they can not confirm that the print server will support them, but equally they are not saying that they will not - it is a case of "try it and see". But the print server is expensive (about GBP120), and retailers will not take them back if it simply the case of not working with the printer, so it /could/ turn out to be a very costly trial!

Printers concerned are all HP - LaserJet Series II, DeskJet560C and Deskjet460C (the latter has USB as well as parallel). I just happen to have a source for unwanted obsolete HP kit, hence all the old stuff! Does anyone have any idea if I have a realistic chance of this working, or would it be likely to be a bad and expensive mistake?

Does anyone have experience of the DP-G321?

·
Registered
22,468 Posts
I've used print servers on the laser jet II with no problems. Can't answer for those particular ink jet printers. Have used print servers on some that are not that much newer with no problems either. Isn't it amazing how that laser jet II just keeps on going. No speed demon but it is well built.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response - good to hear from soneone who's actually used a LJ II, many people just look blank when I mention it :)

>>>Isn't it amazing how that laser jet II just keeps on going. No speed demon but it is well built.....

I agree, mine is still almost as good as new. The only problem I find is that the RAM in it is insufficient to handle some large web page prints or JPEGs, and I can't source any RAM add-ons (well, not without paying an excessive amount!).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.