Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having BSOD troubles, if anyone will lend an ear or sees this and can help, I'm asking for suggestions/insights/critiques/analyses/etc.

I have a Toshiba L305D S5938 laptop, with AMD Turion X2/AMD chipset (please see my equipment profile). I purchased the unit brand new on March 28, 2009 from local retail outlet. Factory image was Vista'd (product key came w/it but no restore CDs).

I completely wiped Vista for a fresh install of Ubuntu after using Vista for 1 week; 64 bit Ubuntu running on it since then until about 1 week ago when I re-formated HDD again and re-imaged w/fresh copy of Windows 7 64 bit so I could use some non open-source software. New image is not dual-boot. Fresh partitn. gave 30gb to windows/boot sector and the rest of 320gb free, both formatted. (windows only recognizes a portion of the total drive space of course).

Computer has not been the same since. Keep getting BSOD no matter how I attempt to solve problem, but continue troubleshooting in hope that systemic trial and error will reveal source of problem. Please see brief description here: http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cgm?catid=2648&threadid=117468&highlight_key=y&keyword1=BSOD

This is same problem. Toggling back/forth between AHCI and 'Compatibility' modes seems to produce fewer BSODs, but unit eventually starts failing at disk.sys again anyway-->more BSOD.

BSOD produces arcane 0x00000000 (0xC00000001, 0x001003f0) and 'c000021a'. I have installed a minimum number of 3rd party programs, incld. superantispyware, bitzipper, Guitar_Pro 5 (ha), nothing else other than driver/downloads per Toshiba prodct. support. Have re-flashed BIOS firmware per Toshiba's latest, but Windows reports BIOS is current & no re-flashing of BIOS necess.

I find zero viruses.
I find zero malware.
Drivers are all evidently working (even if they did not pass signature).

THE BSOD problem goes back to the first moment when I removed GNU partitions for Linux (un-installed Linux). BSODing continually no matter whether I install release candidate Windows 7 64 bit or old version retail XP home edition 32 bit. Cannot get passed Knight Rider (Windows 'loading'), choosing F8 for boot debugging, etc., and pursuing various options there also evidently of no use.

Here is a dumpcheck file. Anyone with insight on how to interpret the info. in dumpcheck or how to get more info about what is. My initial theory: flawed firmware from M$.

Thanks to all in advance for taking the time to read and respond.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I've completely lost every last bit of sanity or mental faculties I may have had in the last week sorry to be a blithering idiot noob I'll check back here just as soon as they let me out of the mental health treatment facility I'm gonna go check myself into.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Well there is nothing specific in the bugchecks -- both of which are identical >>

BugCheck C000021A, {fffff8a000a7eb90, 0, ffffffffc0000001, 100448}

Probably caused by : ntkrnlmp.exe ( nt!ExpSystemErrorHandler2+5e1 )

Followup: MachineOwner
---------

0: kd> !analyze -v
* Bugcheck Analysis *

WINLOGON_FATAL_ERROR (c000021a)
The Winlogon process terminated unexpectedly.
Arguments:
Arg1: fffff8a000a7eb90, String that identifies the problem.
Arg2: 0000000000000000, Error Code.
Arg3: ffffffffc0000001
Arg4: 0000000000100448

Debugging Details:
------------------

BUGCHECK_STR: 0xc000021a_0

ERROR_CODE: (NTSTATUS) 0xc000021a - {Fatal System Error} The %hs system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x%08x (0x%08x 0x%08x). The system has been shut down.

ADDITIONAL_DEBUG_TEXT: initial session process or

CUSTOMER_CRASH_COUNT: 1

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: VISTA_RC

PROCESS_NAME: smss.exe
The nominal faulting driver is a core system memory manager -- but, more interestingly, the active process is a Session Manager Subsystem, and it occurs during the "winlogon" phase of booting>>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_Manager_Subsystem

Were all the original chipset drivers reinstalled?

Moreover there is not really much running in the "backtrace" so this seems like a disk or configuration issue

0: kd> kv (Display Stack Backtrace)
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for mcupdate_AuthenticAMD.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for amdxata.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for amdxata.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for tos_sps64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for tos_sps64.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for TVALZ_O.SYS
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for TVALZ_O.SYS
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for spldr.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for spldr.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for FwLnk.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for FwLnk.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for drmk.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for drmk.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for atikmdag.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for atikmdag.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for Rt64win7.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for Rt64win7.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for athrx.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for athrx.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for agrsm64.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for agrsm64.sys
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for win32k.sys
*** ERROR: Module load completed but symbols could not be loaded for win32k.sys
Couldn't resolve error at 'Display Stack Backtrace)'
You might try using the commands available in Bootrec to verify the current mbr and bootsector data. I am assuming this works the same in Win7 as in Vista >>

http://www.vista123.net/content/use-bootrecexe-tool-repair-startup-issues-vista

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.