Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi:
Came across some posts with the same problem and probable cause, but I need more detailed help to try to fix it - assuming it is fixable, and hope this is in the right forum. Have a new (2 months old) Acer laptop which shuts down about a minute after booting up. I can get into Safe mode, but unfortunately have no restore points and no discs came with the laptop. It has Windows defender and Norton security - but those scans didn't pick up anything when I ran them in Safe mode.
Rich-M gave this answer to a similar post :

" #7 18-Nov-2007 09:08 PM
Rich-M

Distinguished Member Posts: 13,421
Experience: Advanced

That kind of a problem is always spyware and virus...run these online scanners:
www.bitdefender.com
www.ewido.net "

So, is there anyway I can scan the laptop with these or another program to find this virus/spyware (I can't connect to the internet in safe mode either), or any other ideas, and there's only games and music on the laptop so if I need to do restore it to factory settings or something like that, that would be okay also.
Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
22,466 Posts
Honestly this sounds more like hardware and probably a troubled hard drive. You could download and make a bootable disk here that will run checkdisk which is what you need to try.
http://www.ubcd4win.com/downloads.htm
Windows Defender is less than useless, why not also download and install this:
www.superantispyware.com which you could scan in safe mode also.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Rich - thanks for the quick reply.
I've made the UBCD4win disc and ran the chkdsk and the volume was clean. I'm running as many of the virus/spyware programs as I can from the UBCD4win (spybot,CWS shredder, AdawareSE and superantispyware, so far) and have cleaned up a few things but still can't boot up properly yet - still get a message saying "A critical error has occurred and Windows will shut down in one minute. Please save your work." Then it fades away . . .
One thing I'm wondering if I should fix was something called MyWebSearch which came up on SpyBot. It removed the entries, and didn't show it again on a repeat scan, but I still see it on a HJT log (something like 023 . . ..mwssc . .).
I see there's a Vista recovery type tool on the UBCD4win disc, and I've seen that mentioned in some forums - is that anything I should try also. I tried playing around with it a little in Safe mode, but was having some trouble opening it.
Any other ideas or programs to try would be appreciated.
Thanks again!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not doing too good here Rich. Can't use the Hard Drive regenerator thing in Safe mode I guess. Will dig out the warranty from Best Buy unless you have any other ideas. Just to check, these self-fixes won't affect the warranty will they do you think?!
Thanks again!
Pete

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Mike:
Just want to make sure I changed the boot order correctly so it will read the HDD regenerator. This is what the boot order is to start with:

1. IDE0 - Toshiba . . .
2. IDE1
3. CD/DVD Slimtype
4. PCI LAN
5. USB HDD
6. USB FDD
7. USB Key
8. USB CD/DVD ROM

I put #8 to number 1 and#3 to number 2, and left the others in the default order.
But when it boots, it only gives me about 1 minute to open the program and by then it's shutting down on me like before. Or, is it supposed to just boot to the CD drive and bring up the program without getting me to the the problem area? Guess I'm not sure what to do with change in boot order.
Thanks for your help and patience!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Mike, or anyone else with a suggestion -
If I can't get the Hard drive regenerator to work, do you know how to do a factory reset on the laptop. It's an Acer Extensa 5620 w/ Vista, and again I have no discs for it. I haven't seen any methods of doing this on any of these boards or through the Acer website.
Thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I did the alt+F10 and did the factory reset without problems (seemingly, so far). I didn't really have any important files on there so it's not a big problem to start from scratch.
Before I let my son use it on-line again, can I get your recommendations for the basic anti-virus/spyware/firewall you like to to install. As I said it comes with Norton Antivirus and Windows defender, but I'm assuming you prefer others. And should I download and install those directly from the internet or would it be better to use the UBCD4win that you asked me to make previously. I usually use Ad-aware, spybot and Zone -Alarm but I'm open to others.
Let me know what you think when you get a chance, then you can probably close this thread.
Thanks again!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.