Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever seen somonething like this happen? any ideas on how to fix it?

Everything was working fine, until I rebooted the computer, got a BSOD, forced to reboot again, I selected last known good configuration, and got this:

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by Jedi_Master:
Hmmm...

When you go to My Computer, does everything show up correctly ?

If so sounds like the shelliconcache file is corrupt, by any chance were you using TweakUI ?

If so you can follow the instructions here...

http://is-it-true.org/nt/xp/atips/atips19.shtml
No, I am not using tweakUI. I have a feeling that the shelliconcache is not the problem because the icons look fine, but it is the text that is the problem (the start button wouldn't be affected by that, would it?).

If it helps, a lot of text still is readable, but is in what looks like a slightly different font.

I attached another screenshot of "my computer"

Attachments

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Well...

You can always try a System Restore from the command prompt ( unless you can get to it with the pc like this )...

Reboot the pc, and start tapping the F8 key, when the start menu appers choose Safe Mode Command prompt, when you get the the command prompt type in c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe and choose a date before the crash...

·
Registered
20 Posts
coyote399...
this exact same thing happened to me and i am going nuts trying to fix it. however, fixing is tough when you can't read anything!!

did you ever get it resolved? please let me know what you did, and thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
w^rl0rd:

well i am not quite sure how to do that...and since i can't read anything it makes it difficult to just play around with settings to see what works.

i may see if i can put the XP CD in and do some repair work...

(you know what i'd really like to do is find the people that create these viruses...)

any other ideas are appreciated!!

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
You could try the restore from the Safe Mode Command Prompt ( type in c:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe ) at the command prompt, and seewhat happens...see how to get there in my previous post...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.