Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mother in law bought a computer with no support information. The other night it crashed and I don't have anything to recover it with. Is there a place that I can go to get a recovery disk or something? Please help!:confused:

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Hi, Welcome to TSG.

Unless the system is manufactured by a big-name company (ie-IBM, Dell, Gateway, etc.), then I doubt a system restore CD would be available.
Your best bet would be to obtain a Windows 98 boot-disk, then boot your mother-in-law's system using the disk, and re-loading Windows 98 or whatever version she's using.
If you don't have a Windows CD, then you'll have to obtain one, unless you can provide more information about what happened, and we can possibly help you recover, so that you don't have to re-load the system. :)

Please post back with more info regarding the problems you're having. Please be specific in terms of error-messages and such.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It gives the message disk boot failure, insert system disk. I am not sure what happened, but this is what it says when you turn it on. I do not have a system disk for this computer.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This isn't a new computer, and it didn't have any software with it. That is why I am asking if there is a place I can go and get whatever it needs to be fixed. I know that it had windows 95 on it, can I go buy a windows 98 os and reinstall?

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Hi gstwilight,

I run Win 95 on an old machine.
i may be able to help a little.
Are you there now?

John

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
Hey,

What type of system are you using right now, to post these messages? You should be able to create a boot-disk by going to Start, Settings, Control Panel, then open up Add/Remove Programs. Then click on Startup Disk, and click Create Startup Disk. This should create a boot disk for you to use.
I imagine that whoever owned this system before your mother-in-law, probably formatted the entire system.
If the system has been formatted, you'll have to get a Windows CD (either 95 or 98), and proceed to install an OS on the system. Provided that the system is at least 200 MhZ or faster, I'd say that you should go with Windows 98.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.