Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello-I have a problem with system crash and re-boot when I insert disc into drive, it will go the the blue color screen that says checking media information ,then crashes just before the next screen where you check which action you want the computer to take, and then restarts the computer..This happens about 50% of the time. Sometimes it works fine. Happens with a game cd, ormusic cd doesnt matter. I talked to a HP Tech and he had me un-install the drive, Un-plug all the cords going to computer, and hold in the on/off button in for 60 seconds??? Said the un-install and resart will re-install any bad drivers. Not sure about that power drain thing? He said it could also be a bad drive, but I just used the other drive and it did the same thing crash/reboot so I cant belive the drives are bad. ---Also get an error messege at start-up of " DISCover Socket Initialize Failed" , just has an "ok" tab and goes away when clicked. Not sure if this has anything to do with my problem, and also did a search here about the DISCover error and one other guy had that problem but nobody could figure that out I guess. Any help would be great. Thanks

HP Media Center PC m7470n----4200+ AMD Athlon 64 Dual Core----2,048 memory---300 GB Hard Drive----ATI Radeon Xpress 200 256meg---CD/DVD Burner Dual Drive--TV Tuner

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
Howdy gomerp...

"DISCover Socket Initialize Failed"

Found this on the web...

This is a problem appears related to HP Media Center PCs with DISCover games software.

Digital Interactive Systems Corporation (DISCover) is a software/technology company that provides a game center that allows you to search, try, buy, and download games on-demand.

This error comes up after you logon to desktop screen.

Troubleshooting My DISCover Games
If one of the following errors appear, you can remove and reinstall the DISCover software by following the steps below.
Removing and reinstalling the software is known to fix these errors or other problems that may appear.

Possible DISCover error messages include:
MICROSOFT VISUAL ROUTINE LIBRARY Runtime Error. Program: C:\Program Files\DISC\DISCover.exe This application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
DISCOVER Socket Initialization failed.
DISCover terminal open.
Discover.exe entry point not found.
Discover drop and play executable system has encountered a problem and needs to be closed. We are sorryfor the inconvenience.

To remove the DISCover software:
Click Start on the taskbar.
Click Control Panel.
Click Add or Remove Programs.
Select DISCover from the list of programs and then click the Remove button.
Follow any onscreen instructions.

To reinstall the DISCover software:
Click Start on the taskbar.
Choose All Programs.
Choose PC Help & Tools.
Click HP Application Recovery.
Click Application Installation, and then click Next.
Select DISCover from the list of programs and then click Install.
When the installation is complete, close the Application Recovery program, and then turn the computer off and on. Click Start, Turn Off Computer, and then Restart.

If problems persist, you can disable the software tasks that are associated with DISCover softare. To do this, prevent DISCover and DiscUpdMgr from opening during startup using the Microsoft Configuration utility( "msconfig" )and also disable unnecessary startup items and also perform the below step if possible as a last step.

The file "Ssdpsrv" Used by Universal Plug and Play (for network device discovery). To remove this program, open Add/Remove Programs, select either Communications (Me) or Networking Services (XP), and remove the checkmark next to Universal Plug and Play.
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-2643470.php

Might be your whole problem...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello again--I still have the same problem with crash and restart -50% of the time, when any type disc is in drive. Tried both drives, both will crash so I guess its not a hardware issue. Does anybody have any ideas on this issue?

Thank you Jedi for fixing the other problem I had with DISCover error messege at startup, I un-installed DISCover app. and dont have that error any more.

Still have the Crash and Restart problem though. Any help would be great!!

Oh one more thing, today tried to rip a few cd's into media player. Made it through 2 cd's, then it crashed and restared. So I guess what I am saying is that this time it made it into the media player for a while before crashing as before it usually crashed during the disc detection part.
HEELLPP---Thank You, Gomer Pile

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hello--Me again, I guess nobody can figure this problem out so I contacted HP Tech support again to try to fix this issue.First they tried to do a PC Doctor test with any type of install disc in the drive and that crashed also. Was told by the tech that I will have to re-install windows-full re-install--I need to get my pics,music,data off the drive first so I have ordered a external hard drive that slides into the storage bay on these HP Media Center PCs. Since it only crashes about 50% of the time I am hopeing that I can get the install disc to run just once to install the program and transfer my data to this external and then do the re-install. XP is on the hard drive so no disc needed for that.? My questions are how and where do I find any updates like Windows Media Player that I updated to version11, up-dates from HP, up-dates from Windows, up-dates from aol virus protection and any updates that were added to the original XP OS. When you do a windows up-date does it go directly into the Windows OS or is there also a file with the up-dates in them?? Alot of these up-dates were large downloads and I only have dial-up so was trying to eliminate any long up-date download times as I can. Any help or thought on this issue would be wonderfull!! Thanks
Gomer Pile

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
You could also try downloading the drivers for your external device; or WinXP may even have the drivers built-in, in which case you wouldn't need any drivers.

Just a simple drag/drop of your data would work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.