Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stepped on my laptop and cracked my screen. I have it running thru an older monitor, only thing is that I have to run in safe mode with networking. I have heard there's a way to disable the laptop screen from booting up and then I can run normal mode again. Is this possible?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Disabling the monitor in Device Manager should work.

Right click My Computer -> Click Properties -> Select the Hardware tab -> Select Device Manager -> Expand the Monitors section

There should be a list of monitors, the list differs from computer to computer...

Right click the broken one and select disable to disable it.

Make sure you disable the right one, you might end up disabling the older monitor you are using, then you won't be able to see... ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hmm... Yes, there is only one Device Manager.

Are you quite sure? Monitors should be in there, with a "+" to the left for expanding the menu. You might have to scroll down a bit.

I have attached a screenshot if it helps...:) Your menu will be slightly different obviously.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
If you wanted to take a screenshot you would press Print Screen on your keyboard and then paste in to an image editor, like Microsoft Paint, but personally I would recommend Paint.NET ;) :up:

But I don't think a screenshot will help this particular time.

What is it exactly that stops you from booting up normally as opposed to Safe Mode?

Also, you may be able to disable your screen in the BIOS. Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the BIOS in Acer laptops, but if you don't know how a Google search will quickly tell you. :eek:

·
Banned
6 Posts
Try the easy way first. Look at your keyboard (across the top row- the function, or, F-keys). Look for a symbol that looks like a monitor screen - some show 2 simular screens.

Press-n-hold down the Function (Fn) key, (usually @ lower left of keyboaard), then also press the F# key (at the top) w/the symbol that looks like a PC monitor screens.

If your PC monitor is connected and on - doing the above should 'toggle' back and forth from the laptop screen to the Monitor screen, (not both).

Or, try the super-easy way. Read in the user manual how to toggle between screens ;-)

GerryH

·
Registered
8 Posts
Try the easy way first. Look at your keyboard (across the top row- the function, or, F-keys). Look for a symbol that looks like a monitor screen - some show 2 simular screens.

Press-n-hold down the Function (Fn) key, (usually @ lower left of keyboaard), then also press the F# key (at the top) w/the symbol that looks like a PC monitor screens.

If your PC monitor is connected and on - doing the above should 'toggle' back and forth from the laptop screen to the Monitor screen, (not both).

Or, try the super-easy way. Read in the user manual how to toggle between screens ;-)

GerryH
I think the problem is that the screen being active is preventing him from starting Windows other than in Safe Mode.
Also, I would imagine COMPretard has already done this to get his external monitor working.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My comp will start up in normal mode, just the screen doesnt work. So, restart it, let it boot up normal. Then hit my f6 and fun button and it should go to my external monitor? Thank you guys

·
Registered
8 Posts
You may need to press the key combination a number of times before your monitor comes on, as it cycles through a few different modes. Press it, then wait about 7 seconds. If there is no result, press it again, and so on. If nothing happens after about 4 presses we will have to think of something else.

Make sure you are pressing the right keys. As GerryH said, you need to hold down Fn and then press one of your F keys. The one you are looking for may have a picture of a monitor(s) on it, or it may say CRT/LCD or something similar.
It should say something about it in your machine's manual.
From what I can gather on the Internet, on Acers it seems to be F5.

·
Trusted Advisor
127,468 Posts
The external monitor may not be capable of displaying the resolution or refresh rate that the system is set for.

When you boot in safe mode, try to change your display properties to something like 800x600 @ 70 Hz and see if you can boot normally.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.