Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a HP 540n that was running a P4 1.6 GHz. I have replaced it with a new P4 2.4 GHz CPU. Does WinXP recongnize the change in processor speeds? If not, how do I change it? It is running on an ASUS P4S-LA MB.

·
Registered
27 Posts
fantasy1 said:
I have a HP 540n that was running a P4 1.6 GHz. I have replaced it with a new P4 2.4 GHz CPU. Does WinXP recongnize the change in processor speeds? If not, how do I change it? It is running on an ASUS P4S-LA MB.
It is not so much WinXP recognising the new processor as your machine's BIOS recognising the new processor. WinXP will get its information from the BIOS.

For example, I recently upgraded my system (ASUS A7A266 M/b) from an Athlon 1400 to a 2400XP... To get my system to recognise the new CPU, I had to flash the BIOS. After this, once the CPU was installed, the BIOS recognised the CPU and then Windows advised (In the system control panel) that I had an Athlon XP 2400+....

Are you in need of or have you updated the BIOS?

Software Driver and Downloads for HP Pavilion 540n Desktop

Latest BIOS for use with WinXP for HP Pavilion 540n Desktop

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sadan01 said:
It is not so much WinXP recognising the new processor as your machine's BIOS recognising the new processor. WinXP will get its information from the BIOS.

For example, I recently upgraded my system (ASUS A7A266 M/b) from an Athlon 1400 to a 2400XP... To get my system to recognise the new CPU, I had to flash the BIOS. After this, once the CPU was installed, the BIOS recognised the CPU and then Windows advised (In the system control panel) that I had an Athlon XP 2400+....

Are you in need of or have you updated the BIOS?

Software Driver and Downloads for HP Pavilion 540n Desktop

Latest BIOS for use with WinXP for HP Pavilion 540n Desktop
I have downloaded the newest version of the Bios Rev. 3.04. How do you flash the Bois?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.