Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a AMD 700MHZ Thunderbird CPU in my computer. If I wanted to change the CPU, how do I find which ones will fit my motherboard? With the price of a 1.8 around $40.00 I thought this would be a easy way to upgrade. Also will there be a big difference in performance? Is it as simple as pulling out the old one and putting in the new one?

Thanks Danboy

·
Registered
21,334 Posts
Look at the socket type that the CPU is sitting in and check your manual for the FSB and multiplier options. It may not support it for a number of reasons.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Find out what motherboard you have and go to the manufacturer's website.

They will usually have the CPU possibilities listed in the MB specs. Then go check if there are any BIOS updates that may allow for even higher CPUs.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went to the Abit website and found out I can go up too 1.4 GHz Athlon. Will there be a improvement in performance and how difficult is it to change? Also the website said...

Bios Rev. at least 64

I am not sure what they mean.

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
What Abit mobo do you have? Need model number please. If it will take up to a 1.4G Thunderbird cpu, there would be a noticeable increase. There wiill also be a higher heat environment as the Thunderbirds do put out some heat! You will need a pretty good fan/heatsink to properly cool the cpu(more cost). Hopefully you have at least a 300w power supply as the 1.4 sucks power.

·
Super Moderator
46,543 Posts
I would bet you have an Abit KT7 or 7A. The bios rev 64 would contain an update for the 1.4. As I recall the orginal bios did not support >1.2.

·
Super Moderator
46,543 Posts
As StillLearnin posted you will most likely need an improved hsf. I use Speeze Falconrock coolers on my AMD builds. They are pretty cheap and quiet [I hate noise] Do yourself a favor and read AMD’s article on how to install the hsf. It is not really very difficult, however if done incorrectly your processor will overheat at best and possibly you can crack the processor die.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the motherboard is a KT7-RAID. I am not sure about the power supply. Looked on the back of the case but did not see anything. So by reading about the heat issue, the 1.4 runs hotter than the 700, so I will check on prices of coolers. The 1.4 is 39.00 on NewEgg.

·
Super Moderator
46,543 Posts
Buy only quality ps. One of my builds [using that board] is still running four years later; and still on the orginal win2k install. You will need to flash your bios to accept the 1.4.

·
Super Moderator
46,543 Posts
Originally posted by Danboy:
Sorry for the ignorance, but what do you mean by flash your bios and how do I do it?
There should be detailed instructions on Abit's site on how to flash the bios. Abits are pretty easy. You will make a bootable floppy and copy the bios update to the floppy. Reboot the computer and type "runme.bat" without quotes; the flash will continue.

Make sure you check Abit's site for their instructions. Flashing a bios is not difficult, however a bad flash will render the board unbootable. That is the reason I stress checking the mgf's instructions.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.