Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,608 Posts
I suppose when they start to release the Intel Core i3 and Intel Core i5 they will probably fade out the cpus for the 775 socket. You could always wait for a while and then when the 775 cpus stop being there main concern you could probably get them cheaper. Wait about a year after a cpu has been released and then buy it.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
When Core i3 & i5 are shipping.

Don't bother upgrading your CPU... Just overclock it. It takes nothing to get a Q6600 up to 3.0Ghz. Are you using a stock junky intel cooler? (its OKAY)

The Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz is the last best Core2 you can get... its $320.
It'll continue to devalue a bit... then go UP in price as stock runs out.

Happens all the time. You can see people selling OLD CPUs for 2-3x the price of a modern CPU. Go figure.

I can hit 3.3ghz with my Q6600.. but it runs hotter than I care for and I don't WANT to push it. 3.0 is fine, stable, runs 1c warmer than 2.4ghz... runs nice and cool at about 37~40c under normal use. I don't think I've hit over 45c.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
Refer to your manual... you raise the CLOCK speed up. Like from 266 > 333Mhz. And adjust the memory timings to be close to 800 / 1066mhz.

You'll need to replace the intel cooler.

This is one of the best and LOW-cost CPU HSF on the market. Just make sure you don't have TALL memory sticks in your computer (extra cooling fins).
$27 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835186134

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm using my E8400 from 3.0 to 3.6 with one of Gigabyte's UD3 series motherboards. I bought a custom cooler for it, and that was it.

If you REALLY want quad core, wait around until Q1 or Q2 2010. The Core i9 will be released around there, which will be using the same socket as the i7, which would drop that in price considerably.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.