Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey I'm new to pc building and my friend suggested me to buy pc parts. Biig mistake lol. SO my problem is that I plug everything in to the mother board, but once I plug the cpu power connector into the mother board and power supply it starts for 5 seconds and then shuts off for a few seconds then comes back on in a loop. I did the 24 pin wire and the cpu wire only and same problem. It only works if the cpu wire isn't plugged in. Any suggestions?

AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8-Core Processor

Motherboard
ASRock - X470 Master SLI/AC ATX AM4 Motherboard

https://pcpartpicker.com/mr/outletpc/nQc48d
Memory
G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage
Kingston - A400 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive

Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card
EVGA - GeForce RTX 2080 8GB XC GAMING Video Card

Case
NZXT - H500 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply
EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power S
upply

Monitor
AOC - AG241QX 23.8" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor

·
Registered
5,661 Posts
The CPU (Central Processing Unit) is a large chip usually made by Intel or AMD that goes into the main, usually square socket on the motherboard and usually must have a heatsink and fan mounted on top of it to keep it cool.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The CPU (Central Processing Unit) is a large chip usually made by Intel or AMD that goes into the main, usually square socket on the motherboard and usually must have a heatsink and fan mounted on top of it to keep it cool.
Yes I've put the fan and everything on it and it only works for about few seconds still and then shuts off. It happens only when I plug this wire (CPu power connector 4-pin 8 pin} into the mother board and the power supply .

·
Super Moderator
16,194 Posts
Leave it disconnected, it should still work as long as you don't want to overclock the CPU.

·
Super Moderator
16,194 Posts
I think you have the Cpu fan plugged into the wrong socket, move it to the one next to the one it's in now, further from the edge of the board.

·
Super Moderator
16,194 Posts
How are you turning it on ? You need to connect a switch or short the correct 2 pins on the motherboard to turn it on.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How are you turning it on ? You need to connect a switch or short the correct 2 pins on the motherboard to turn it on.
Im using screw driver to act like a bridge for the pins that turns on the mother board without using the pins. I was doing that to check if everything works. Could plugging those wires give it more power?

·
Super Moderator
16,194 Posts
Ok that should work, are you connecting the 2 pins next to the missing pin and on the same side ?

·
Super Moderator
16,194 Posts
In motherboard manual P.31 the 2 labelled PWRBTN# and GND on it's left, note there is no pin on it's right. See P.7/8 item 16 also for position of front panel connector.

·
Registered
154 Posts
When the motherboard is new or the BIOS/UEFI has been reset, it may cycle from on to off and then on again. It's just checking the components and setting everything up.

The ATX12V1 (8-pin) is required for the processor. Saying that it isn't is incorrect. Check the motherboard layout in the manual to figure out where it is. This power cable can be named EPS, EATX, or CPU. Check the power supply manual to find out where to connect the CPU power cable on the power supply. Make sure you have ATX (24-pin) and the ATX12V1 (8-pin) connected correctly to the power supply and motherboard. I'm not sure if ATX12V2 (4-pin) that is beside ATX12V1 is required because the manual doesn't say anything. Contact ASRock about this connector to find if it's required.

I don't recommend modular power supplies for first-time computer builders because it can be confusing which cable to use and what connector should be used for what cable. The octopus-like or jellyfish-like power supplies are easier for first time builders.

The motherboard has silkscreen or labels on the motherboard that should make it easy to connect cables without having to refer to the manual. Having the manual beside you helps with building the computer. Reading the manual before building the computer helps even more. It's OK to build the computer outside the case. Usually building inside the case can have more problems because it decreases your view from problems.

The CPU_FAN1 on the motherboard that should be used for the CPU fan. The CPU_FAN2 is for the pump when using a water cooling setup.

It does help to have a speaker hooked up to the front panel headers because it will beep if there are any problems that you may overlook. A single beep is not an error at all, but a success and it is ready to boot into an OS. Re-seat the memory and make sure it clicks into place. For Ryzen system, don't forget to connect the video card or may not post or boot. I recommend a low-end video card like the GeForce GTX 1030 for testing. Don't forget the display cable or video cable. For your Ryzen processor you have to connect to the connectors on the add-on graphics card.

I don't recommend Ryzen processors to first time builders unless the builder has a mentor guiding them the building process. I haven't used an ASRock motherboard. I have success with ASUS and MSI. ASRock has a fishy warranty policy. ASUS and MSI warranty policy is not something you have to guess how long and if they will support their products.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.