Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Athlong XP 2100+ (1.73 Ghz) CPU. My fan is starting to die, and I was wondering if someone could recommend what to get to replace the fan. I am intersted in getting heatsink/fan combos.

I want to make sure whatever I get will spin fast enough, and keep it cool enough. I don't really know what speed I need it to be at to work correctly.

Does the sytem board that you have matter when buying cooling fans?

I don't want to spend lots of money, so anything the is sufficient will do for me. I certainly don't need the "top of the line" fan.. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Actually you should be looking for a unit of high quality. The HSF unit is really a critical choice. And you can get some quality units rather inexpensively. There are several manufacturers that should have a unit for under $30 USD that will fill the bill for you quite well. ThermalTake, Vantec, Speez are a few of them.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, but that didn't really help me much on what I should buy. If I look into say, thermalTake, how do i know that what imbuying from them will be compatible? Thanks

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
You need to look for a HSF unit for a Socket A processor. And the specs should tell you if it is compatible with your speed processor. This should be the same for any of the major players in the HSF game. The unit I am usign for example will work well with your system. But a lot of people dont like it because it is notthe quietest on the market. And at www.computergate.com it is less than $30 including S/H or should asy it was.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
Well that would probably work. I have never heard of Skorpion before though so I can't make reference to any reviews or experiences. The major problem I have is buying from EBAY. If you have good experiences buy the Ebay way that is good. You have to check out the service and return policy. Also warranty policy.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i guess I'm just confused. When I look around, I see many different products. On AMD's site, they listed cooling systems that were recommended for the 2100+. But it depends on whether or not you have a 2100+ model 6 or model 8. What does taht mean? All I want is something taht I know will fit onto the top of the CPU, keep it cool, and not be hella loud. I guess I don't know where to look for that. ANy help?

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I think this would be better than the other one. More air flow for speed. http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-106-017&depa=1 It is a bit more then the oe you looked at. But it is a better HSF unit. There are othe brands as well that you could check out. But remember what ever you get, carefully clean your processor die removing all traces of thermal grease then reapply a very thin (about the tickness of a sheet of standard typing paper) layer of Thermal Grease to the die only. also it is a good idea to apply some to the heat sink itself rubbing it into the area where the sink will contact the die using a rubber gloved finger (you can use a plastic sandwich bag for this also) then cleaning it off carefully. This will help fill in the tiny imperfections on the Heatsink.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
The thermal "grease" Compound should come with the HSF unit. If not you can go to Radio Shack and get some. The die is the small Chip in the center of the CPU package. This is the only place on it that you want to have any thermal compound.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts
I think you will be happy

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.