Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay.. A while back I bought a DVD burner. I had 2 Drives at the time, both working, a DVDROM drive and CD-RW drive..
I took out the CD-RW drive and added the DVD burner. After installing, the DVD-Rom drive was not recognized by Windows. I checked the wiring and everything was fine, but it seemed that the DVD drive was just non-existant to the computer, even after adding the drivers and stuff...

I then decided to start fresh. I used a Windows Installation and went under the "repair" option instaed of fresh install. After it was done, the computer wont recognize EITHER drive..

Both drives are there and opening, but wont be recognized. I cant install the drivers since I have NO Cd-Drives.

What should I do. TIA :)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, I think all cables are set properly, but how can I make sure that the jumpers are properly set to master, slave, or cable select..

I tried that website and got it to work, sort of.. The website said to erase value data from upper filters and lower filters.
Only Lower Filters came out for me. UpperFilters wasnt there. I restarted and ONE drive appeared and wouldnt read anything. I ejected by rightclicking and BOTH opened. Thanks

·
Registered
938 Posts
I reckon this is your jumpers. Take the two drives out. At the top of each drive it should show you the position to put the jumpers for master/slave. Set one to master and one to slave or alternativley you could set both to cs. If you set them as master and slave have the master drive at the very end of the ide cable and the slave on the middle port. If thiswas your problem they should now work ok. Max.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Here's the script to automatically erase both filter values, makes it easier to do, and less chance of error.

Fix for missing DVD/CD drives.

Create a text file with NOTEPAD containing the following data exactly as below and name it FIXCD.REG
You should have 3 boxes on the bottom in NOTEPAD.
1)Filename : fixcd.reg
2)Save as type: all files
3)Encoding: ANSI
If you do not change it from txt type to All files type, then the file will actually be fixcd.reg.txt, this won't accomplish the desired result

Double click on the file and say yes to the merge into registry question.

----------------------- Use text after this line, contents of FIXCD.REG -----------------------------
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]
------------------------------ Use text before this line --------------------------------

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.