Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HP Pavilion Celeron 3.2 GHz processir Windows XP....

"System" process (not system idle) always running high 90s of cpu. Can't do much of anything. Happens also in safe mode. Unplugged everything, even inside box, no help.
Even swapped out the memory sticks. Restored system...still the problem persists....
hardware diags run clean....not sure what else to do....help!

·
Registered
54 Posts
First thing you should do is copy everything that is running from your system processes and post it here that way we can see what is running, what should or should not be running, cause Virues/Malware/Spyware all run in the background and can take up processor space, that way we could see if something like that is running and shouldn't be.

But here is a couple solutions you can try in the mean time, A) Download a nice virus cleaning software run it and see if after you clean it runs faster, or go to www.housecall.com and use their online free scan....B) Hit Window Key +R to bring up the run command, and type in MSCONFIG, and go to start up, this way you can modify what starts up when the computer starts up, and there could be alot of un needed programs running when you start up that you could disable to free up some space.

I will check back on this message to see how things are going. Best of luck

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There isa no www.housecall.com I assume you mean housecall.trendmicro.com? I ran that and it didn't help. Be advised I am in windows safe mode there is already a minimal of proecesses running. I pretty much can't do anyting in regular mode the cpu is so bound up...it does seem a bit better in safe mode but it doesn't let me install software...I was able to do the scan from a IE plugin (sagfe mode with networking). There are only 17 processes showing up in "Windows Task Manager" in safe mode I don't know how to cut and paste from there I'll have to transcribe manually:

System SYSTEM 99 28K
jusched.exe Administrator 00 76K
explorer.exe Administrator 00 5008K
msconfig.exe Administrator 00 6048K
svchost.ext LOCAL SERVICE 00 100K
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE 00 928K
svchost.exe SYSTEM 00 1988K
svchost.exe NETWORK SERVICE 00 816K
svchost.exe SYSTEM 00 864K
taskmgr.exe Administrator 00 1372K
lsass.exe SYSTEM 00 892K
services.exe SYSTEM 00 1016K