Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mid-2013 Macbook Air with a corrupt SSD which is preventing the mac from accessing any of the start up key combinations like: Start up manager, Recovery Mode, Internet Recovery mode, Safe Mode, Single user mode.

If i try to start the Mac, it just gives a the start up chime and a grey screen after that. Doesn't proceed after that screen even with any of the start up key combinations pressed.

I tried physically removing the SSD out and after that the start up key combinations did start working. Now i could access the Start up manager by long pressing alt/option key etc.

Next i tried to boot a USB drive with Windows Installation and it did boot successfully and took me to windows setup. However i couldn't install the windows as there wasn't any SSD/HDD.

I did a little research online and found that there is a option called windows to go and this means that i can boot a fully functional windows from a USB. I used wintousb application to create one such usb drive and plugged this on to the mac with the SSD still removed out. Startup manager was able to identify a bootable disc named Windows and when this was selected, it couldn't boot. Again the grey screen of death!

Is there any way I can get my macbook air running again?

I have a alternate Laptop with UEFI system and Windows 10 Installed for any background work. I dont have access to other Mac's. Please help me!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I have tried it both ways, with the SSD installed and also SSD removed.

It does work when the SSD is installed and i get a white screen flash followed by a system restart and the start up chime for the second time. But after this is done and I try to reboot the system, the problem still remains. Again the grey screen of death.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.