Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife started up her laptop and it came up with the message Cannot load locally stored profile.

I got in using safe mode. She wanted her photos and school work copied as they are important. I opened a new folder on the desktop and copied everything she wanted kept to this. Is was about 6 - 8 GB in size.
I had a 4GB USB drive so I copied to that and would do the rest at work the next day.

I started up the Laptop at work and it came up with the same message about the profile. I then went to the microsoft help pages and they suggested a system restore to a date before. I did this nad it fixed the login problem.

The Problem now is that I can't find either of the two folders that had the files in. Have I lost the files forever.

Any help would be a life saver and a divorce stopper.

David

·
Registered
7,889 Posts
System restore is only to restore the system, MS states that personal files are left intact. http://www.5starsupport.com/faq/xp-system-restore.htm#1-5

Did you search the hard drive for the name of the desktop folder you created? Since you did this in safe mode, I suggest booting into safe mode and see if they are still on that desktop, most likely they are. If it is XP Home edition, safe mode uses a hidden administrator account, this explains why the folders do not show up in the regular user account.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.