Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Because I was having trouble running DXdiag.exe (directshow) I did a little looking around and from what I read I concluded that maybe there were some bad dlls and tried running sfc /scannow. But then it asked for CD2 of winXP and I have an HP that has a recovery partition (plus a backup set of disks)...

A little more looking around and I was directed to http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html (I think by a post from this forum) and tried the suggestions for changing the registry settings of sourcepath and that didn't work any which way (conclusion is i386 folder is corrupted), then I tried copying the i386 folder from the HP recovery disk to the c:/ drive and directing the registry to it... that didn't work. Then I found a slipstreamed winxp pro sp2 disk and tried that. That was my last attempt because by the time the status bar of the scannow reached 2/3-3/4 the computer simply rebooted itself. And it did it the 2nd time I tried it, so I quit...

So, does anyone have any suggestions that do not include a OS reinstall?

Thanks much,
Sbergstc

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.