Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, Everyone!

Does anyone have any suggestions for copying the data from one hard drive -- including files, programs, settings, etc. -- to a new hard drive? I have an older hard drive and it's rather small -- only 40 GB, I think -- and I'd like to move everything over to a newer, larger hard drive. I don't relish the thought of manually having to re-install all of my programs, files, etc. Whenever you do that, it seems like to figure out days/weeks/months later that something didn't get re-installed and you have to take the time to do it when you're in the middle of something else. There's got to be an easier way. :)

I appreciate your advice.

Bubba

·
Administrator
13,568 Posts
There are a number of software programs out there that will make a backup image of your drive. Acronis True Image is the one I use. This program lets you make a back up of your entire drive, or just specific files or folders to be stored on an external hard drive or a flash drive (if it's a big enough flash drive). It also allows you to create a bootable CD that you can use to re-install a backup image onto a drive that won't boot into windows, or onto a new hard drive. You then only need to make the image of your old drive, save that to an external hard drive or flash drive, install the new drive, and use the CD to restore the image to your new hard drive.

·
Registered
12,661 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
If you are running XP or earlier versions of windows then I highly recommend using xxclone to copy sector by sector one drive to the other. Then use G-parted to resize the new drive to its fullest capacity. I have links for these in the tech tips section under the free software thread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.