Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get an copy error, when trying to install windows components from control panel add/remove windows components. I have the right win xp sp2 cd in running and it says it cant find a specific file its looking for, but then when i click browse i see that its there in the cd the exact file i double click it and it doesn't recognize it or something again what can i do about this ???:confused:

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
Is it the same CD that was used to install XP on that machine? If it is an OEM, it may differ from the original installation disk. If it is a full version CD, install it over the top of the version you have now.

·
Registered
51,987 Posts
No, not if you do a repair. It may work, and if it does, all the files will be replaced with versions from the CD and you will then be able to use that CD for repairs.

Boot from the CD, follow all the prompts just like you were installing for the firdt time, and choose the Z"Repair" option by pressing "R" (not on the first page which brings you to the Recovery Console, but the second time it is offered after you accept the license).

All your programs and settings will be the same.

But, like always, you should make backups before performing any major process like this.

More--------------------->

Repair Installation Instructions
or
How To Run A Repair Install
(How to Repair Windows XP by Installing Over top of Existing Setup)

All you do is boot from the CD. When it asks if you want to repair and to press "R", don't. Continue with the installation just like you were installing for the first time.

You will then get a license agreement and it will ask you to press F8 to agree. Right after that screen, you will see a list of Windows installations that setup found. It will ask if you want to repair it. Read the directions on that page!!!

Then, you will actually press "R" this time and XP will re-install.

When done, you will be back to your familiar desktop with everything looking just like it did before. But all your Windows Updates are gone and you will need to get those again.

If you have any problems booting from CD, set the CD to boot earlier than the hard drive in BIOS setup, or come back for more help. If you don't get the "Repair" optin to press the second "R", then your registry is too damaged for a repair and you need to restore an earlier copy of the registry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.