Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a problem with cooling - AMD 2400+ running at 50*C with the case side off.

I want to install some case fans - and I was recommended to have a intake at the front and extraction at the back. The only problem with intake at the front is my compooter is on the floor and it'll suck in a load of dust and stuff.

However, if I have intake at the back then it'll suck in all the air thats been extracted by the psu fan above it.

Should I just have intake at the bottom front with a filter?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
104 Posts
If you are worried about the cpu temp, just get a better cpu fan. If it is the system temp that you are worried about, I like your idea about using the filter. That would work great!!

Leto
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
I have also heard of the CPU fan creating overheating. If you can, tone down the CPU rpm and it could lower your CPU temp. More RPMs means more voltage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,404 Posts
You should put your pc up on blocks or something not right on the floor. Also if it is on carpeting thats not suppose to be good either, static. A couple of bricks with a 1x10 board would do the trick. the fan/heat thing I'm not buying, your taking away alot more heat than your adding from the fan motor. Think about it, fan motors would just burst into flames and explode if that were true.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
14 Posts
Its not the fan motor generating heat, but that there is more voltage being pumped into the area of the CPU. I just heard this from some LAN guys I play with sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,661 Posts
Sorry to say this PlasmaEye but your lan guys are not correct. Number one the connection for the fan is not physically located on the CPU nor really in the immediate area. Number 2 the voltage is not what causes the heat. It is the wattage used by the fan. And that is usually extremely low unless the fan motor is bad and drawing way more than it is designed to. When you slow your fan down, you decrease the amount of air flow thereby increasing the amount of heat not drawn off the cpu.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,673 Posts
dustyjay said:
the voltage is not what causes the heat
Sorry but that is not true at all. When you lower the voltage you lower the heat being generated by the chip. If this was not true then you might want to contact Micron and ATI because the new R420 and 423 video cards that they are working on will not need a heat sink, and they way they are achieving it is by lowering the voltage to the chip ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,577 Posts
Yes, more voltage does create more heat, but the point is, the fan's voltage is not directly related to the CPU's voltage. The fan is always running at 12vDC, unless you splice some wires, but regardless, the fan is there to cool off the heatsink....if you lower the fan speed, then the heatsink won't be cooled as effectively, so if anything, you would want to make the fan go faster. But anyway, I would just stick a fan in the front anyway, and just clean it out every so often, or get a filter if you don't want to clean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,661 Posts
Actually Wet chicken you are right, when you lower your voltage you lower power used also. Thing is not to take the airflow away from your cpu. if anything try to increase it. And that kit you linked is an interesting thing. One question is why are the 3 fan adapters?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,673 Posts
dustyjay said:
Actually Wet chicken you are right, when you lower your voltage you lower power used also. Thing is not to take the airflow away from your cpu.
Oh no that's not what I was trying to say. It's just that all things being equal, when you lower the voltage the same chip will be cooler. It has nothing to do with airflow. Of course you want that as high as possible. I just ordered a new case fan that has 126 cfm :D The more air the merrier ;)

It has 3 fan adapters because it connects in 3 places. By isolating the air for the CPU you are also lowering the temp in the case so it doesn't just help the CPU, it also helps the whole computer ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,661 Posts
Lowering the voltage supplied to the cpu fan will not lower the voltage supplied to the CPU though. So therefore the effect you are going to get by lowering the CPU Fan speed is less cooling for the cpu.

Where did you find a 126CFM fan? And what is that beast going to sound like? I always wanted to set up a mini Airconditioner with a duct to connect to my case! Just to see if I could lower the temp like a refrigerator!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,661 Posts
Hmm Refrigerator? How about one of those dorm size Refers? I am going to think about building a computer case out of one of those! Have to figure out a way to reduce the condensation I guess. Oh please excuse me while I defrost my computer!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,673 Posts
dustyjay said:
Lowering the voltage supplied to the cpu fan will not lower the voltage supplied to the CPU though. So therefore the effect you are going to get by lowering the CPU Fan speed is less cooling for the cpu.
Yes I know, why would you want to lower the voltage to the fan, if anything increase it :D

Where did you find a 126CFM fan?
Here :D

And what is that beast going to sound like?
Not really worried about that because it's a rack mount system which I lined the insides with professional recording studio sound deadening material :p

I always wanted to set up a mini Airconditioner with a duct to connect to my case!
Funny you would bring that up. Last year I was working on one which used freon, and it was working great. Problem was all the condensation on the lines :p I'm working on a sealed water cooled system next ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,404 Posts
Wet Chicken said:
Sorry but that is not true at all. When you lower the voltage you lower the heat being generated by the chip. If this was not true then you might want to contact Micron and ATI because the new R420 and 423 video cards that they are working on will not need a heat sink, and they way they are achieving it is by lowering the voltage to the chip ;)
Wet plaese take a physics course imediately, I know what your trying to say, but you are using totally wrong terminolgy and it makes you sound ignorant, Voltage is potential energy, if its 12 volts than it stays 12 volts + or - slight flucuations. I think what you will find is, it's wattage they are taking about, wattage is what produces the heat, if they are getting their cards to perform at a lower wattage, then fan would not be neccessary. And yes lowering voltage would produce less wattage, volts x amps = watts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,404 Posts
PlasmaEye said:
Its not the fan motor generating heat, but that there is more voltage being pumped into the area of the CPU. I just heard this from some LAN guys I play with sometimes.
Whaaaaaa???? your voltage does not change, look at your Aida32 voltages they don't change. And yes it is your fan motor producing the heat, it is a coil of copper wire with electrical resistance, what the "H" does pumping more voltage into the area mean for crying out loud.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10,673 Posts
brite750 said:
Voltage is potential energy, if its 12 volts than it stays 12 volts + or - slight flucuations. I think what you will find is, it's wattage they are taking about, wattage is what produces the heat, if they are getting their cards to perform at a lower wattage, then fan would not be neccessary
brite750 you had my respect until you started to speak :eek: Guess you've never heard of a little thing called Ohms Law :rolleyes: Oh and by the way, please use the spell check feature. It would make understanding what you're trying to say a lot easier ;) Have a nice day :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,404 Posts
Wet Chicken said:
brite750 you had my respect until you started to speak :eek: Guess you've never heard of a little thing called Ohms Law :rolleyes: Oh and by the way, please use the spell check feature. It would make understanding what you're trying to say a lot easier ;) Have a nice day :D
I'm real sorry that I've lost your respect, why don't you explain ohms law and how that pertains to this thread and using the term voltage instead of wattage, I know I'm not clear on how having your fan go slower makes your cpu cooler?????. And BTW my eyesight is very poor and it's not always easy for me to see what I'm typing, especially first thing in the morning, my apologies if I confused you.
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top