Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, long time reader, first time poster. I searched around for answers, and I saw many similar problems as mine but none of the solutions fixed the problem.

My internet consists of Motorola Surfboard modem connected to Linksys VoIP Phone Adapter with Router, which is then connected to the Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. I use Windows Vista on 2 of my computers and 1 of them is a Macbook Pro. I doubt this matters because when the internet loses connection, all computers lose it simultaneously.

Everything is fine and dandy for around 5-15 minutes. However, after a random time period, it suddenly seems to lose connection for about 10 seconds to 30 seconds then come back. This is extremely frustrating if I was in a middle of a computer game which can last for 30 minutes or a hour- especially when I'm online with my friends.

I diagnosed the connection when it lost its connection was dead, and it showed the message [Cannot Communicate with DNS server (208.77.0.11) , Network diagnostics pinged the remote host but did not receive a response].

This was going on for a while now, and I've been trying to fix the problem to no avail. My friends call me the DCer (Disconnecter) or PPer (Plug Puller) because of this frustrating problem. Any help is greatly appreciated, and I will take steps necessary to single out the problem. Thank you in advance! :eek:

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I'd suggest you change the configuration and connect the WRT54G directly to the modem, then connect the VoIP adapter to one of the router ports. I've used my VoIP with both the Vonage adapter, and now the Linksys one in that configuration for years.

Before I did that, I used to have random disconnections with the router behind the VoIP box.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip. I tried that, and it seems the disconnects are lot less frequent but it's still there- this time its around 30 minute intervals or so. Do you think it's the Router? Modem? VoiP?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Well, disconnect the VoIP box totally and see if they still happen. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.