Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
long time no see! But thanks to you i have been running a problem free pc for almost 2 years now :D

so here's the problem:

If i disable my network connection and then try to re-enable, i invariably get a "connection Failed!" popup window. Click ok and it's gone. No matter how many times i try to reconnect, the same happens. The only way to get connection back is if i restart the pc. Now... when i go to restart pc, it hangs and have to manually restart it. when logging on again, everything hunky-dory.

Running Windows XP SP3 32bit
connection is a WIRED ETHERNET LAN.
Adapter on pc is onboard - VIA Rhine II Fast Ethernet Adapter
it connects to a Tiscali modem/router (Philips) with 4 ports all functioning correctly.
I have checked the cables and they are fine. Switched ports, same thing happens.

I have Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall and Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 installed as protection solutions. Also running Malwarebytes Antimalware every so often.

it's like something's blocking the connection from coming back on. I don't recall installing anything that might affect LAN functionality, and haven't had any problems of that sort until about 3 weeks ago.

any ideas? Answers on a postcard! Thank you very much in advance!

·
Super Moderator
82,234 Posts
Having multiple firewalls running is pretty much guaranteed to cause some kind of problem. Suggest you test in Safe Mode with Networking and/or by uninstalling all non-Windows firewalls.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Terrynet,

thank you for your reply.

true that about firewalls, but the problem started before i upgraded to KIS2009. I still had KAntivirus 7 when i first noticed this behaviour. Then last week, finally got round to installing KIS, with same results. I will test this in Safe mode and report back.
Thank again!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.