Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am running Win XP home ed., and have IE and Firefox browsers on a Dell Dimension 4600i. Since the latest Win update I find that whenever I reactivate the system after using only the power saving settings for turn off hard disc or turn off monitor I cannot connect to my server. I get the message, "No such host ( pop-server.rochester.rr.com) Ensure pop 3 server is correct." When I reboot everything works normally, and I am able to connect. I am using McAfee and Zone Alarm. If just the screen saver is used the system works normally. Can you help? Thanks

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I trust you are not using the McAfee firewall with Zone Alarm, but rather ZA and McAfee antivirus..correct?

Open your Zone Alarm control panel and go to the Program Control > Programs tab. Locate your e-mail click in the programs list, right click on it, then click to remove it. Make sure your e-mail click is closed then open it to check for mail. When you check for mail, you should get a ZA Program alert requesting 'access': grant the access and check the 'remember this' box.

My thought is that your update changed your mail client enough that ZA will not let it out although it is still on the programs list.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I am using ZA and McAfee anti virus and no McAfee firewall. I tried your fix and happily, it seems go be working so far. Many thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I found that I was mistaken. The system has again started not to recognize my server after a period of inactivity. I did a system restore to early June when everything was working normally, and it now will not connect me to to an internet site after a period of inactivity( message "no such host exists,ensure that pop 3 server is correct). My network connection shows I am connected. Everything works normally after reboot. Any further ideas?

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Yes I do have another idea. You may be losing your connection with your ISP. Add your DHCP server IP to the Trusted Zone of your ZA firewall.

Finding DNS and DCHP servers, etc

1. Go to Run type in command , hit 'ok', and type ipconfig /all then press enter. In the returned data list will be a line DNS and DHCP Servers with the IP address(s) listed out to the side.
2. In ZA on your machine on the Firewall>Zones tab click Add and then select IP Address. Make sure the Zone is set to Trusted.
3. Click OK and then Apply and see if that works to fix it..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No luck. Of interest, it is only after several hours of inactivity that I can't connect. If the system is idle for only an hour or so it works normally. It is almost like there is a time out after some period of time. I entered the IP address in ZA and have had the same outcome.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
In your ZA Programs List, have you granted 'server' rights to Generic Host Process in the Trusted Zone? However, you should not grant server rights in the Internet Zone.

Is your XP firewall disabled when you are using Zone Alarm?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm having a problem turning Win Firewall off. When I go to the Win Security Center Main Screen and click "OFF" under manage security setttings for Win Firewall the Firewall inicator on the opening screen remains a green "ON". How can I get this to show "OFF"

·
Registered
5 Posts
The phone line is good, and plugged into the computer, but the computer says
to plug the phone line in, or I hear a recorded message from the phone saying-
If you want to make a call, hang up and dial. I can get through few a few seconds
by unplugging the phone line and plugging it in again and the computer will get and send or I can get onto the web during those few seconds. I think it is a comunication/connection problem. It is acting like it's been put to work already or that the phone line doesn't exist.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.