Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to be able to connect to my modem wirelessly because with recent rearranging, I just don't have an ethernet cable long enough to reach my PC. If a problem ever comes up with my connection (which frequently happens), I just power cycle my modem and router instead of just going in the modem settings to see if there's any abnormalities. I was wondering if it is possible to connect to my modem and troubleshoot through my wireless router.

Router model is NETGEAR WGR614v9
Modem model is AMBIT U10C018

I read the modem manual and the IP for the modem is 192.168.1.1, but that's also the IP address to access the router settings. So when I type in 192.168.1.1 in my address bar, it brings me to the router only.

Any help is appreciated! :)

·
Super Moderator
74,177 Posts
All modern broadband routers that I know of allow you to change their LAN IP address range. Changing it on the router from 192.168.1.nnn to 192.168.2.nnn should put the router and modem on different sub-net. You should then be able to access the router admin page at 192.168.2.1 and the modem admin page at 192.168.1.1 .

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Also, that "modem" is a router, so you may want to look into configuring it in bridge mode so you don't have two NAT layers to contend with.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All modern broadband routers that I know of allow you to change their LAN IP address range. Changing it on the router from 192.168.1.nnn to 192.168.2.nnn should put the router and modem on different sub-net. You should then be able to access the router admin page at 192.168.2.1 and the modem admin page at 192.168.1.1 .
I can access my router through 192.168.2.1 now, but 192.168.1.1 doesn't bring up any kind of information. I just get "The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond."

Also, that "modem" is a router, so you may want to look into configuring it in bridge mode so you don't have two NAT layers to contend with.
How would I go about doing this?

Also, when I do ipconfig or ipconfig /all, it doesn't show an IP address of the modem, if it's supposed to.

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.0.6001]
Copyright (c) 2006 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\#######>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ######
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection 6:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : abit AirPace Wi-Fi Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : ##############
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::6563:6b27:1b15:c336%17(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.2(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Monday, November 03, 2008 1:11:04 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, November 04, 2008 1:11:03 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.2.1
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 208.67.222.222
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 6:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : isatap.{14C6EE45-5A24-4548-9437-4907D02F3
C4E}
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : ################
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 7:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : ###########
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No

·
Super Moderator
74,177 Posts
Modem model is AMBIT U10C018

I read the modem manual and the IP for the modem is 192.168.1.1,
I can access my router through 192.168.2.1 now, but 192.168.1.1 doesn't bring up any kind of information. I just get "The server at 192.168.1.1 is taking too long to respond."
I found some information that says the modem's default IP address and administration web page access is at 192.168.100.1 .

Assuming you are not having any problems connecting to the Internet through both devices, take a look at the WAN settings (the port that connects to the modem) of the Netgear router. What does it show for the gateway address?

EDIT: I just found a PDF file of the U10C018 User Guide on the manufacturer's web site. Page 25 says, "Enter http://192.168.100.1 into your browser. This URL connects you directly to the web server within your cable modem."

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I found some information that says the modem's default IP address and administration web page access is at 192.168.100.1 .

Assuming you are not having any problems connecting to the Internet through both devices, take a look at the WAN settings (the port that connects to the modem) of the Netgear router. What does it show for the gateway address?

EDIT: I just found a PDF file of the U10C018 User Guide on the manufacturer's web site. Page 25 says, "Enter http://192.168.100.1 into your browser. This URL connects you directly to the web server within your cable modem."
192.168.100.1 doesn't bring up any kind of page either, or clicking the URL.

When I look at my router settings through netgear, it shows WAN setup as the only choice for "WAN settings".

WAN Setup

Disable SPI Firewall - Unchecked

Default DMZ Server - Unchecked

Respond to Ping on Internet Port - Unchecked

MTU Size (in bytes) 1399

NAT Filtering - Secured
Disable SIP ALG - Checked

·
Super Moderator
74,177 Posts
On the Netgear router, go to the Maintenance -> Router Status page.

What does is show under Internet Port (which is called the WAN port on some brands of routers) for IP Address, DHCP, and Subnet Mask?

·
Super Moderator
74,177 Posts
The 71.90.nnn.nnn Internet IP address looks like your modem is in bridge mode all ready.

From a little bit of reading on the Broadband Reports web site, the modem's status page should be at 192.168.100.1 but other people have had problems getting to it.

Can you confirm that you can still access the modem's status page with a direct connection from the modem to your PC? If so, we need to figure out what setting(s) in the Netgear router may be blocking the access.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
You're right cwwozniak, now that we have more information, that's probably not an issue. :)

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had to wait until it was convenient to move the modem here, but I can confirm that I can get to the modem settings page by doing 192.168.100.1 with it plugged directly into my PC.

·
Super Moderator
74,177 Posts
I am trying to think of things that may make the WAN/Internet port on the router appear different than your computer to the modem.

Two thing come to mind (it's 12:30 am and the brain is a bit tired at the moment):

1) The modem is somehow locked in to only serve the pages to the MAC (Physical Address) of your computer's NIC. Not sure if power cycling the modem would let it work with a new MAC address or if you router allows changing the MAC address of the WAN interface to match that of your computer.

2) Assuming you are running NAT on the router, the modem may not want to cooperate with any port number other than port 80 on the connected computer and the router is using a different port number.

I hope that JohnWill may have some more and better ideas as to what could be causing the problem.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Hmm... You should be able to access the modem through the router's WAN port, I have no issue accessing a router behind another router's NAT layer on a different subnet address.

If you suspect the MAC address is the issue, clone the MAC of the PC that connects to the modem directly into the router to see if that helps when the router is in the picture.

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
When I use the computer's mac address that's connected to the router, I don't get any connection whatsoever, and I still can't access the modem :(
How did you "use" this MAC address?

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
I was thinking along the lines of "Use computer MAC address", since there's no change of a typing error. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.