Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, my last post i posted a question on connecting to my home PC (This one) from an outside network (school, business, etc.) i finally got that issue resolved **Thank you Terry**

But now, i want to perfect accessing my parents Belkin router GUI from here.

I just wanted to make sure i had all the steps down.

I had my sister log on and go into Virtual Servers, and open ports 3389 through 192.168.2.4 (Her PC) with no option of setting TCP/UDP or Both.
I had her go into "System Settnigs" and enable Remote Management from only one other IP, which i had my sister enter my External IP Address into it.
Now, how do i go about accessing the Router?? i tried putting in their external IP address into the URL bar, but a web search page just pops up, i don't know how to any other way?
My sister was able to connect to my PC from my parents house using my hostname through DDNS, which i made my External IP address, instead of my Private IP address lol. Give me a little insight cause im not understanding.
I know how to remotely access an actual Cisco routers CLI through Telnet, but not sure how to connect to a Linksys, dlink, or belkins Interface?

Thank you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi Johncraig87,

If you already have assinged enabled the administrator password and remote management on the router, it's easy to login to the router remotely from any IP Addresses or the specified IP Address for that. Please follow the steps given below:

1. Get the WAN IP Address, that would be on the router home page (under the heading "Internet Settings").
2. Type in the same WAN IP Address followed by :80 or :8080 in the address bar.
3. That would prompt for the administrator password. You can login to the router remotely after entering the password.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
74,177 Posts
Your parent's modem may be running its own NAT layer and may either need to be set up with port forwarding of its own to the router's WAN side or it may have the option of just acting as a gateway where your parent's public (external) address appears on the WAN side of the router. It is also possible that your parent's ISP may not allow running servers on the account and may be blocking incoming traffic on typical server ports.

Did your sister use a service like www.whatismyip.com to confirm their current public IP address just before you tried connecting to it?

You mentioned that you have a host name through DDNS which I assume means your home connection comes with a dynamic public IP address. In that case, having your sister set the router's remote management to only work with your current public IP address will not let you connect when your address changes at some time in the future.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for getting back to me so quickly. Ok, i got the WAN IP address of my parents house: 72.193.xx.xx. I had my sister enable remote management for not all IP's just MY IP: 72.193.xxx.xx. I can now ping my family's network. it replies with 4 packets with only 15-20ms latency time since they are only 10 minutes away from me.

However, i type in 72.193.xx.xx:80 or 8080 and nothing comes up, i get "The Webpage cannot be displayed." I have setup an Administrator password so i should get that prompt, but nothing comes up? Where have I gone wrong? I had her enable the ports 3389 over their as well.

I check frequently, Thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

The settings on the router seem to be correct. But I doubt if the remote access port is 3389. If that is the remote access port, please remove that and type in 8080 in place of 3398 for the remote access port. That should be under Remote Management on the router interface.

If the problem persists, please let me know the model and version number of the router. I would really appreciate that.

Thank you.

·
Banned
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i enabled 3389 just for remote access for Remote Desktop Connection. On the belkin router at my familiy's house, there was no option to change or state what you want the Remote Management port to be,

when i tried in Virtual Server to open 8080, it said i was overlapping it with Remote management port, so im pretty sure thats what it is, but it just isn't working. Like i said, i can ping to my parents network from My house here, so there is connectivity i just don't know how to finish the other 10%

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.