Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,

I'm trying to use XDMCP to connect to a Linux system but apparently the connection can't be made and because im behind a router. (Yes i've tried forwarding the ports and disabling my firewall but it doesnt help) and i've even tried connecting through ssh and then open the GUI but i cant seem to get it working (i use xsession but then all components of the gui open separatelly and i end up with 8 windows, each for the different components i.e one windows is the backgorung, the other the toolbar, etc..)

Anyways, to fix i've ping the linux machine from my pc and it works fine, now it im trying to rlogin or telnet from the linux machine to my computer but i havent been able, i've tried:

rlogin -l username host

but then again im behind a router so how can i reach my pc from linux?

Thanks in advance for any light in the matter.

· Deceased Moderator Gone but never forgotten
82,272 Posts
Describe your network(s). Of particular interest is whether both computers are connected to the same or different routers.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah i should've said that from the begining.

I'm in a home network (a normal home network using a router) and i'm trying to access a server somewhere else, so yeah completely different routers.

· Deceased Moderator Gone but never forgotten
82,272 Posts
I know little about Linux and nothing about XDMCP so probably won't be of much use here.

To rlogin to a Windows machine the machine has to be running some kind of rlogin client, right? I mean, it's not native to Windows, right?

You said you pinged the Linux system; how do you ping a computer that's behind a router? (Thanks in advance for letting me borrow your thread for my own question.)

· Banned
24,754 Posts
klam said:
Yeah i should've said that from the begining.

I'm in a home network (a normal home network using a router) and i'm trying to access a server somewhere else, so yeah completely different routers.
Are these computers in different locations? Is this a company setup with one domain and multiple locations?

Or is this your personal computer trying to connect to someone else's personal computer? If so, you need to use something like VNC.

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To Terry: no, im actually pinging the server directly.

To Double:

· Banned
24,754 Posts
I'm not that familiar with Linux, but I don't know how you'd be able to "connect" to another computer over the Internet using built-in utilities. Are you trying to view the desktop of another system? Share files? Access other resources?

You said you're able to ping the other machine. Does that mean you've opened the necessary ports on the other end? And you're pinging an external (not 192.x) address?

· Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, the server as I've said is somewhere else so yes i'm not pinging a 192.168... the problem is the server finding my pc.

I moved this thread to Unix/Linux section since it looks like i'll be able to get more help there than from Networking section.

Thanks.

· Registered
5 Posts
klam said:
Hi there,

I'm trying to use XDMCP to connect to a Linux system but apparently the connection can't be made and because im behind a router. (Yes i've tried forwarding the ports and disabling my firewall but it doesnt help)
The ports on the receiving side have to be directed to the ip address internally to the "server". What port(s) are you defining for receiving/responding on the server? Is the port(s) supported by the ISP provider? (I recently learned that Verizon doesn't allow port 80 to be used on their home systems even though a static ip address is assigned).

klam said:
and i've even tried connecting through ssh and then open the GUI but i cant seem to get it working (i use xsession but then all components of the gui open separatelly and i end up with 8 windows, each for the different components i.e one windows is the backgorung, the other the toolbar, etc..)
This sounds like your opening locally terminals?

klam said:
Anyways, to fix i've ping the linux machine from my pc and it works fine, now it im trying to rlogin or telnet from the linux machine to my computer but i havent been able, i've tried:

rlogin -l username host

but then again im behind a router so how can i reach my pc from linux?

Thanks in advance for any light in the matter.
In the telnet, have you directed port 21/23 on your router to your computer internal ip address? I am not aware of what port(s) rlogin would define - but those would have to be defined to your internal machine if your at the linux system. You should be able to telnet in however IF the telnet ports are directed in your router to your XP machine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.