Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at getting a wireless router (either a D-Link 615 or a Netgear Rangemax WNR1000) and I'm not exactly sure how to set it up. I have a BEC Technologies 7402 TM (NOT GTM) adsl wired modem/router that my telephone company gave me when I switched to DSL. There are 4 LAN ports on the back of the modem/router, a line port that my telephone cable is connected to, and a console port that I don't use. 2 of the LAN ports are being used. One is connected to my cable box, the other has an ethernet cord that runs halfway around my house, through a wall and into a wall jack that my desktop computer is connected to. I only want to use the wireless router to connect to my Wii and one laptop, I would like to keep my desktop connection wired. I had previously tried to connect to xbox live by connecting my xbox to one of the LAN ports but I could never get it to work, so now I just switch the ethernet cords between my xbox and computer in the wall jack whenever I want to use one or the other. Will I be able to connect a wireless router to one of the LAN ports and receive a signal or will I have to connect the wireless router to the wall jack that my desktop is hooked to, and run the connection through the router? I've never setup a wireless network before so I'm a little new to this subject.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.