Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Just recently my computer started notifying me that my internet connection was connected:

"Local area connection is now connected - Speed 100.0 Mbps" and then not connected, "Local Area Connection - A network cable is unplugged".

This happens, back-and-forth, for as long as my computer is on. I unplugged my router and cable modem and plugged them back in, but no luck. I rebooted several times, but no luck. I searched for spyware, etc, but only came across what has been there for months.

I load and unload software periodically, but am unsure what I may have installed that could have caused this problem. One thing that I do remember doing recently was trying to acquire a license for an MP3 I was trying to play in Media Center. It was an MP3 which I recored from a purchased CD. When it said I needed to acquire the license, I said YES, then was supposed to be taken to a website. When nothing happened, I clicked CANCEL and the song played. Other than that, I'm not sure what else I may have downloaded/installed.

Is this a typical problem that is easily resolved, or do I need to dig deeper?

Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Joe

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

For starters, have you tried to repair the connection?

start/control panel/network connections/rt click Local area connection/repair

See if you get an error message...

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Have you checked the basics? This could be a cable or loose connection issue, that's the first thing I'd look at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John!

I should have known; I also have Vonage plugged into the router and it recently started crackling in the handset. I unplugged and replugged all CAT5 cables and things are back to normal!

Thanks again for your help!

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestion!

It turned out to be a simple loose connection.

Next time I'll cover all the bases before I post, so I don't waste anyone's time.

Thanks!

Joe

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
...I spoke too soon; it worked for about 25 minutes (no "connected" / "Unplugged" messages and clear Vonage phone) but now has started again. I tried repairing the connection, but still the same thing. I did try to disable the connection (with the thought that enabling it would help) but it wouldn't let me do it (it gave me the message, "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support plug-and-play, or it may have been initiated by another user or the system account").

So you're aware, it does the same thing whether Zone Alarm is on or off. I'm going to try and pull the wires out again and leave them hanging more freely (right now they're kind of shoved behind my desk and may be bent at odd angles) - could the wires have been damaged by bending/twisting them too much?

Once again, thanks for your help!

Joe

·
Retired Moderator
106,726 Posts
Anything's possible. :) I'd also consider that you may have a damaged cable or connector on one of them. You might new a new CAT5 patch cable...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.