Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I want to be able to connect my Laptop to other peoples computer and transfer file. I know that it use to be able to be done VIA the serial port. If any one know of a way to do this please let me know I need to transfer some large files to my laptop from this guy computer and he has no way of transfering large files.

Thank you for you help in advance.

CT

;)

· Retired Moderator
110,551 Posts
There are a number of serial transfer programs available, LapLink, PC-Anywhere, FastLynx, etc. that will do the trick. Most of these programs also will utilize parallel ports for additional transfer speed with a special cable.

There are also free serial port applications, like Columbia Kermit that will do a one-time trick, but configuration may be a challenge. :)

· Registered
8,064 Posts
You will need a specific type of cable to do this, and then install software on both systems to enable it. You could also do it through a network.

I use a product called USBLinq, and it comes with a USB cable and software to install, and then you run the transfer throught the installed applcation. Handy and easy.

The company QVS did mine, and they still do a version of it, but called USBLink now. You can't buy direct from them, but they do have a listing of Online shops that are authorised resellers. There are loads of stores you can buy from directly, but evidentally not in Alabama.
http://www.qvs.com/var/buy.asp#ONLINE

· Registered
8,064 Posts
BTW, in order to use Laplink software, you need to buy a Laplink cable. Cheeky folks!!;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.