Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really new to linux, and I think the largest issue, for me personally, is understanding how to simply install a program. I was wanting to see what wine was all about and play around with it. I am using simplyMEPIS, and found this link when searching for the download:
http://www.winehq.com/site/download-deb
Which one do I download? And, after I have, what do I do with it?
I have managed to install opera and aim, those were .deb files that opened through another program and, to me, magically appeared in the app menu. Any tar, with gz or otherwise, i really don't understand what to do with, I can "unpack" the files but is that it? This is incredibly confusing to me, I must need an explanation suited to a 10 year old, because my usual method of playing with something until that "oh yeah" moment is not working here.

·
Registered
3,303 Posts
WINE is a windows emulator allowing you to run some windows applications. Office 97 is said to run perfectly with it. You probably want to learn other things first - as far as installing programs you would apt-get install (whatever) or do it via the synaptic packet manager, which you should check out. SimplyMepis is one of my favorite distros. I'm currently playing with Dream Linux and it is sooo good!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.