Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
https://secure.newegg.com/NewVersio...tNumber=1967153&WishListTitle=My+New+Computer

This is my new build. I am really confused as to what type of sata drives to use?

There seems to be 2 (or 3?) different types of sata drives (both hard drives and optical) listed on newegg and I can't figure out which kind I need to make sure it's compatible with my new mobo. I have 2 ide ones, but I would really prefer to update, especially since the mobo only has 1 ata slot.

·
Registered
4,719 Posts
There are two types at the moment Sata, and Sata 2, the later having the faster data transfer rate 300 mbps.
That mobo will work with any of them
I would go with Sata 2, or consider Wd 10,000 rpm Raptor drives.
Also the sata optical drives will work ok.
Make your choice and post back if you would like any help choosing

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
I looked at your specs, and that is a good selection of parts. I just have one comment. I would go with something other than a raidmax ps. Raidmax are very low quality units. If you check the specs on it, there are only 34amps combined on the 12V rails. That is pretty low for a 630W ps. I would go with something like this Fortron power supply with the rebate it is only a few dollars more and puts out double the amps on the combined 12V rails.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately I had just ordered the whole system a few minutes before I posted this...

Do you think I will have any big problems (just going by specs on the ps, not brand name) with keeping my machine running? I know the vid card is gonna be a big power drain which is why I went for a 600wat+ psu.

Also, i'm planning on having 2 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144701 along with a dvd/cd lightscribe burner and a dual-layer dvd burning added to the comp soon. If you guys think I'll need more juice from the psu, I'll return this one and go with something else. Unfortunately for me, price is a big problem ( it's hard for me to spend more than maybe $110 including shipping) on a ps.
Also, I'm trying to keep my case clean, which means I want a modular ps, and I also want a good looking one (led's and what-not)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
any other thoughts?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.