Tech Support Guy banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Environment Agency will be investigating the contents of 81 containers filled with 1,500 tons of hazardous waste from hospitals and private residences sent from the UK to different ports around Brazil. The containers were labeled recyclable plastic but filled with all sorts of nasties including used condoms, used syringes, and dirty diapers/nappies...

This is not the first time this has happened. Brazil states they have complained to the World Trade Organization in the past over these illegal deliveries. Yes, Illegal. Under the Basel Convention, shipments of toxic waste from industrialized nations are banned! 81 illegal containers in total from February-May have arrived at Brazilian ports.

Three men have been arrested and are out on bail until October.
Was this an example of the UK trying to get away with something?? taking the "let's dump our trash in somebody elses' back yard" type of attitude? Doubt it. The government probably had no idea this was going on- It's private companies trying to profit illegally.
Sam thing happens in the US with shipping containers of E-Waste over to Hong Kong.... sad, sad, sad.

·
Retired Trusted Advisor
5,333 Posts
Don't forget:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/2004/sep/20/environment.china

"More than a third of the waste paper and plastic collected by British local authorities, supermarkets and businesses for recycling is being sent 8,000 miles to China without any knowledge of the environmental or social costs - and to the complete surprise of most consumers.
New government figures suggest that exports to China are running at 200,000 tonnes of plastic rubbish and 500,000 tonnes of paper and cardboard a year - a huge increase on just three years ago.
Much of the plastic sent to China is packaging but a Guardian investigation has found that agents for Chinese companies are now buying up and exporting thousands of tonnes of unwashed bottles, containers, and other household waste.
"China is buying up everything it can. It is sucking in material from all over the world and it doesn't give two noodles what it takes," said one plastics recycler who asked not to be identified. "I know of 300 firms, mostly in China, offering to buy my plastics. I have three or four companies cold-calling me every day from China requesting material. They have very cheap labour to sort the material but the shame is that it is being done there and not here. They don't care about the quality, or the contamination. No one checks what is sent or what arrives."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.