Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just reformatted my Raptors and made the a RAID 0 array, installed my new FX-55, reinstalled XP Pro w/SP2, then reinstalled all of my Flight Sim programs and other games. All was well for a few days, when All of a sudden, my computer wouldn't boot up. The fans turn on, the mobo lights up, but my CD and floppy drives don't seem to have power to them, even though they have 12 volts at the molex plug. I have removed everything down to the barebones, but still no post screen. My Epox board has a digital POST debug LED display that stays on "FF" the whole time. It use to change letters and numbers 6 or 7 times before it hit "FF" which is when Windows would be starting up. Anything I can do to make this thing POST up?

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Motherboard (Access/Enter Motherboard BIOS and Troubleshooting BIOS Beep Codes)
CPU/fan/heatsink
Video card (Troubleshooting a Video Adapter and Computer Monitor Flow Chart)
RAM - one RAM stick (run memtest86)
Monitor -
Keyboard - Not mandatory
Speaker - Hear beep codes
Power Supply -(Flowchart for ATX Power Supply Repair best way is just try a known good power supply)

Remove everything from the case

Connect the components listed above, check all connections and be sure they are in their proper location and secure. If your motherboard has a small, square 4 pin power connector,

You have done that listed above? with no hard drive connected? if not try that and tell us what you get.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed everything out of the computer, then installed 24 pin power connector to the mobo, then the 4 pin power to the mobo, 1 stick of RAM, i Videocard, (after flipping the SLI paddle, of course), installed the power on switch, then the sound switch onto the mobo, turned the computer on and.................Nothing! Lights come on, fans spool up, but no beep, and nothing shows up on the monitor. The same "FF" code in the mobo's POST debug LCD. That "FF" showed up when Windows was finished loading. It never showed up as soon as I hit the power button.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My old CPU was RMA'd back to AMD. It was proven to be dead by their techs, so they sent me a brand new one. I have that up for sale on Craigslist as a brand new unopened box. Oh well, I guess it is going to go down in value when I open it up and install it! Back in a few minutes.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Problem solved. My FX-55 must be shot. I put in the new 3700+ and the computer fired right up , passed the POST and went right to the desktop. I guess I'll be sending the FX back to Newegg for an exchange. Thanks Shusterjo for the troubleshooting. I wouldn't think a 9 day old processor would go bad that quick. The computer I'm using now has an old XP 2200+ cpu that must be close to 7 years old. I thought technology was supposed to be getting better, not worse!

·
Super Moderator
46,554 Posts
With an epox board if you get the "FF" and it never changes, the board is not posting. What that code means [FF] is that the bios is finished post and handed off to the os. When it never changes, it is not posting.

There is a good chance you damaged something on the board OR you may have just had a power supply fail.

What I would do would be to pull the board from the case and bench test it with a known good power supply. If it posts, then you know the board is ok. If it does not post on the bench with a known good ps, it is either the board itself or the cpu has died.

·
Super Moderator
46,554 Posts
Good to see you got it to work and the problem was the cpu.
BTW that is a good quality board. I have one here running a fx55 that has been humming along for almost 2 years without any problems.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just got the RMA # from Newegg and I'll ship it out Tuesday morning. I just finished boxing it up. Should be back in business in around a week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.