Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to upgrade a computer for friends wife.Has a ok tower,custom built at one time.I put a decent PS in it year ago and video card.Anyway it has windows 98 as operating system.I have a couple new socket A motherboards and some good used socket a processors,2400,1700 ect.She has alot of programs she still uses and dont want to lose them.If I put in a new 80 gig hard drive and install XP and hook up old hard drive as slave drive she can still access all her old 98 programs and still use them right?I'm betting she may not have all the original programs she uses on disk or that they are even compatable with xp.Main objective is to get them up to snuff with decent computer but not lose all her work and old 98 programs.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
digger747 said:
Going to upgrade a computer for friends wife.Has a ok tower,custom built at one time.I put a decent PS in it year ago and video card.Anyway it has windows 98 as operating system.I have a couple new socket A motherboards and some good used socket a processors,2400,1700 ect.She has alot of programs she still uses and dont want to lose them.If I put in a new 80 gig hard drive and install XP and hook up old hard drive as slave drive she can still access all her old 98 programs and still use them right?I'm betting she may not have all the original programs she uses on disk or that they are even compatable with xp.Main objective is to get them up to snuff with decent computer but not lose all her work and old 98 programs.
no you would have to install and run programs from XP, which means that they have to be compatible with XP (ntfs format) and she would have to have install disks. You could have both OS on a dual boot setup but thats not what you are really looking for.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
BTW keep in mind if you are switching MB you will have to do a reformat and install anyway lossing any programs that you do not have disks for

·
Registered
114 Posts
unfortunately, the answer to your problem is Absolutely Not. Basically, the reason the programs wont work is because they need to be "registered" in windows. You'll have to reinstall the programs from CDs. You could use both hard drives and have two operating systems, but it doesnt seem like thats your real objective. BUT!!! (i had a thought midway) get those two disks into your pc and copy the entire old drive onto the new drive. After that, you may be able to UPGRADE to XP, which would allow her to keep the programs and registry entries.

I realize that i may have been a little vague with my methods, so ask questions!

·
Super Moderator
46,577 Posts
What ever os you are running xp, win2k, whatever will need the apps installed. This is for two reasons.
1 You need to have specific registry entries.
2 When you install an app, it installs files to it's own folder AND it installs files to the winnt and or winnt\system32 folder. These files would not exist unless you install the app.

Most [however not all] apps that ran under 98 will run on win2k or xp. Sometimes you will need to contact the vendor for an updated version of the app.

·
Super Moderator
46,577 Posts
danv12 said:
unfortunately, the answer to your problem is Absolutely Not. Basically, the reason the programs wont work is because they need to be "registered" in windows. You'll have to reinstall the programs from CDs. You could use both hard drives and have two operating systems, but it doesnt seem like thats your real objective. BUT!!! (i had a thought midway) get those two disks into your pc and copy the entire old drive onto the new drive. After that, you may be able to UPGRADE to XP, which would allow her to keep the programs and registry entries.

I realize that i may have been a little vague with my methods, so ask questions!
Upgrades from win9x based os to nt based os are problematic at best and generally NOT recommended. If you are going to change os, the best way is a clean install of the os.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have enough parts to build them a new pc,maybe i should build a second and eventually she will make the transition to new one with newer xp compatable programs.Think she makes cards and does alot of pictures and so on.I dont think they really know what a decent pc can do.My friend does remodelling and i said i had alot of work to do around here and we would trade it out.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
there is a little pesky thing called the registry when you install a program windows installs settings in the registry to allow programs to work, simply copying a program folder doesnt work, and you cant copy a registry without taking stuff that would cause problems with the new mb setup, so either leave pc alone as is or find program disks. Cloning wont work because all the stuff from old MB would still be present, there are ways of moving the old 98 setup to new mb, but it will not give you XP and may not work as well as fresh install

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is a really old thread, but I don't know why this wasn't suggested:

You can upgrade to Windows XP using Fat32 file system, thus keeping your programs and everything intact. Set your new hard drive up as a RAID or use it as a slave drive as you stated. Or even, install XP on the new hard drive, save the registry file, and copy everything to the new HD and load the registry from the old HD.

All the above should have worked if you kept everything Fat32 - some are more advanced and require a better deal of knowledge and techniques than others. The good news is that I think you could even go from Fat32 -> NTFS once installed. However, you could not go from NTFS->Fat32.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.