Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got back my Epox 9NPLA+SLI mobo from a RMA, and it is doing weird things. I couldn't get it to turn on by the power button, even though I have a brand new 630W Raidmax PSU, so I pulled out all of the cables that went into the mobo, removed the RAM and the videocards. Pushed the button and the computer came to life. Turned it off, and as I was inserting the 1st stick of RAM, the computer started up! I turned it off again, unplugged it, put in both sticks of memory, both videocards, plugged it back in, went to the bathroom and when I came back to my office, the computer was on again. When the computer turns itself on the power button on the case will not turn the computer off. I have to use the rocker switch on the back of the PSU to turn it off. Is it time for an excorcism on this rig?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is a rogue spacer?

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
Flowdrip said:
I just got back my Epox 9NPLA+SLI mobo from a RMA, and it is doing weird things. I couldn't get it to turn on by the power button, even though I have a brand new 630W Raidmax PSU, so I pulled out all of the cables that went into the mobo, removed the RAM and the videocards. Pushed the button and the computer came to life. Turned it off, and as I was inserting the 1st stick of RAM, the computer started up! I turned it off again, unplugged it, put in both sticks of memory, both videocards, plugged it back in, went to the bathroom and when I came back to my office, the computer was on again. When the computer turns itself on the power button on the case will not turn the computer off. I have to use the rocker switch on the back of the PSU to turn it off. Is it time for an excorcism on this rig?
2 comments:
Raidmax psu are borderline crap
never work on the pc with the plug in the wall socket

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
I agree that is does sound like a ps problem [raidmax is junk] however epox boards have a small switch on the board itself that will power on the system. This is used for troubleshooting, power on outside the case, etc. It is a neat feature. On the lower right corner of the board [down by where the floppy drive plugs in] you will see a small button like switch. This is the aux power switch. If you bump this OR it is shorted, it can power on the system.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
Try a quality ps on the board. If it still does the same thing, send it back. EPOX is really very good with customer service. A few years ago they were recapping boards that had failed with bad caps even though they were out of warranty.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wasn't anywhere near either the reset or power off/on button on the mobo. I agree, that the 2 buttons are a neat feature on this board, don't know why more boards don't have this on them. I guess I have to go buy a new PSU. Can't return the Raidmax because of the rebate involved. What a pisser! Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
46,552 Posts
In any case you need a quality ps for that system; raidmax is just not going to cut it. Good brands are antec, enermax, sparkle / fortron, and the high end coolmax. With 3 drives, and 2 7900s, I would not go below 500W for the ps. When you check the specs, look for something with at least 35amp on the 12V rails.

Note units with dual or triple 12V, you need to add the amps together ie 12V1 @18amp and 12V2 @18amp makes a total of 36amp on the 12V rail.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
I took a Raidmax psu apart and it did look a little better than the Powmax one I have, but I'd still be a little afraid to plug either one in a wall socket, they both look like very, very cheap components, the caps where all bent over and crushed looking the soldering looked like I did it with a blind fold on, etc., very cheap sleeve bearing fans, well you get the idea.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
This is going to sound crazy but i had the same issue with a very old gateway system i have. Thought it might be a 'wake on' feature but no. It turned out to be the NIC as the problem went away after removing it. Never got around to replacing the NIC so i put it back in and i ended up installing windows xp on it (it HAD windows ME). After that the problem resolved itself..... Go figure.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Crjdriver and Brite750 for the info. I ordered that Antec True Power Trio today from Newegg. Should have it by Thursday of next week. I really appreciate the help! I even updated my signature below!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.