Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a fairly recent problem. I have a Dell computer about 4 months old.

Here's a description of the problem. I would appreciate any assistance I can get. I was going to call Dell but I've found I get better help here than Dell!

My CPU will start to get louder than normal (it sounds like it is working overtime in there). At the same time, IE freezes up and pages won't load anymore. I can still use email and MSN IM normally, as well as other programs. When I check the "windows task manager," it says the CPU usage is 100%, when normally it's around 2-5%. It will do this for up to an hour. Even if I reboot, after it has started up, it continues do this same thing.

After it finishes whatever it is doing, CPU usage goes back down and IE works normally again.

I'm afraid it might be some spybot program or something that is taking over. I can't figure out what is wrong. But I know this is a good place to come for
help!

Christi

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, here's a list of the processes using the most.

CCPROXY.EXE 77,448K
ieplore.exe 26,808K
explore.exe 18,664K
svchost.exe 15,304K
CCAPP.EXE 10,556K

In the "windows task manager" box under the "processes" tab, it lists the processes. Under the CPU column, ieplore.exe has 99% usage. Is that the problem? Like I earlier mentioned, the CPU is louder and and the computer usage goes up to 100%, IE freezes while other programs work just fine.

I'd appreciate any assistance.
Christi

·
Registered
51 Posts
What anti-spyware/adaware program are you running? My friends computer was doing the same thing and it turned out to be adaware that was running his iexplorer in the background. His also did this without even opening his iexplorer.

I'm assuming that you have XP and are up to date with all the updates.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I use AdAware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy. I've done a scan with both of those to see if that helped. It hasn't.

I do have XP and do stay up-to-date on the updates. The only things that it says I should update, which I haven't yet, is the IE 6 Service pack 1 and Windows XP Service pack 2.

I'll do those today to see if that helps.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You must be running Norton. Try disable every start-up program and run spybot in safe mode.
I don't understand what Norton has to do with this problem. I will run Spybot like you said.

Also, I don't think at this point I'm going to download SP2. I just read through that really long thread at the top of this forum. I'm a little afraid to download it at this point.

But you are thinking this 100% CPU usage is a spyware program?

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Do you keep your adaware and spybot up to date as well? What antivirus do you run?

Norton is an excellent antivirus program - do you keep it up to date as well? I have downloaded SP2 and many have without problems. SP2 has a great little firewall that is important if you don't run any firewall now and use anything faster than dialup to get on the internet (like DSL or Cable). The second feature of SP2 that is good is that it makes a change in how Internet Explorer (IE) handles cookies - it mimics Netscape Navigator. The people over at NN have made it so that their browser handles cookies for a session only and then when you exit the browser - the cookies are deleted. You can now do that with IE after installing SP2. Or you can use the Mozilla browser, Firefox browser, Avant browser, or Opera browser (or many others). I am here right now running one Mozilla and one Firefox...doc

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
TampaLady said:
I don't understand what Norton has to do with this problem. I will run Spybot like you said.

Also, I don't think at this point I'm going to download SP2. I just read through that really long thread at the top of this forum. I'm a little afraid to download it at this point.

A third thing to do is to download and install the Microsoft Antispyware Beta program. Install it, update it, run it. I have it on one laptop and five desktops. It is handy, runs well in conjunction with adaware and spybot, and has turned out to be a useful tool with those other two. You could also use CCleaner, a handy free cleaner that takes out most of the useless trash - I run that also on all my computers.

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/default.mspx
http://www.ccleaner.com/

hth...doc

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
here's how to post the Hijack This log here and set it up.... run it after using your adaware and spybot.

post the log in this thread, whereupon it'll be analysed by those-in-the-know here and then appropriate fixes will be suggested..

follow the next instructions on posting the Hijack This log here;

It’s very important that you save the log to its own permanent folder on your hard drive, such as Program Files/Hijack This, or My Documents/Hijack This, (NOT a temporary files folder) or you may loose the ability to undo any changes you make, so that it can create proper back-ups and be able to restore them if necessary.

Close all open windows/and any open web browers and open Hijack This. Click “Scan”. When the scan is finished (it only takes a second), the scan button will change to “Save Log”. Click on “Save Log” and then save it to NotePad. Click on “Edit” – “Select all” – “copy” and then “paste” into the thread.

DO NOT FIX ANYTHING YET;- Await further analysis here.

·
Registered
25 Posts
TampaLady said:

Norton can bog down the system. If there is spyware on your computer, it will give you problem, when you try to install SP2.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Ok, I ran AdAware SE and then Spybot S&D. Then I ran HJT. Here's my log:

Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 8:25:25 AM, on 2/3/2005
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\MsPMSPSv.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\HEWLET~1\PHOTOS~1\HPSHAR~1\hpgs2wnf.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon03.exe
C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE
c:\Program Files\Dell\Support\Alert\bin\NotifyAlert.exe
C:\Program Files\Digital Line Detect\DLG.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RAMASST.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPHipm09.exe
C:\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Page_URL = http://www.dell4me.com/myway
R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.tbo.com/
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: Web assistant - {9ECB9560-04F9-4bbc-943D-298DDF1699E1} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Web assistant - {0B53EAC3-8D69-4b9e-9B19-A37C9A5676A7} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\AdBlocking\NISShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IgfxTray] C:\WINDOWS\System32\igfxtray.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HotKeysCmds] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hkcmd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] C:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_03\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [UpdateManager] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Sonic\Update Manager\sgtray.exe" /r
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCMService] "C:\Program Files\Dell\Media Experience\PCMService.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [URLLSTCK.exe] C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\UrlLstCk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DwlClient] c:\Program Files\Common Files\Dell\EUSW\Support.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers\w32x86\3\hpztsb04.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPHmon03] C:\WINDOWS\System32\hphmon03.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CXMon] "C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\Photo Imaging\Hpi_Monitor.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Share-to-Web Namespace Daemon] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\PhotoSmart\HP Share-to-Web\hpgs2wnd.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [DVDLauncher] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDVD\DVDLauncher.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft Works Update Detection] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\WkUFind.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [mmtask] C:\Program Files\MUSICMATCH\Musicmatch Jukebox\mmtask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PinnacleDriverCheck] C:\WINDOWS\System32\PSDrvCheck.exe -CheckReg
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Symantec NetDriver Monitor] C:\PROGRA~1\SYMNET~1\SNDMon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [H/PC Connection Agent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\WCESCOMM.EXE"
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Event Reminder.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Quicken Scheduled Updates.lnk = C:\Program Files\Quicken\bagent.exe
O4 - Global Startup: RAMASST.lnk = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\RAMASST.exe
O9 - Extra button: Create Mobile Favorite - {2EAF5BB1-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Create Mobile Favorite... - {2EAF5BB2-070F-11D3-9307-00C04FAE2D4F} - C:\Program Files\Microsoft ActiveSync\INETREPL.DLL
O9 - Extra button: AIM - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\Program Files\AIM\aim.exe
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - C:\PROGRA~1\Yahoo!\MESSEN~1\YPager.exe
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Windows Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O16 - DPF: {72770C4F-967D-4517-982B-92D6B9015649} (DigWebHelper Class) - http://photos.msn.com/resources/neutral/controls/DigWebX.cab?9,0,712,0
O16 - DPF: {B38870E4-7ECB-40DA-8C6A-595F0A5519FF} (MsnMessengerSetupDownloadControl Class) - http://messenger.msn.com/download/MsnMessengerSetupDownloader.cab
O16 - DPF: {B8BE5E93-A60C-4D26-A2DC-220313175592} (ZoneIntro Class) - http://zone.msn.com/binFramework/v10/ZIntro.cab32846.cab
O16 - DPF: {DF780F87-FF2B-4DF8-92D0-73DB16A1543A} (PopCapLoader Object) - http://zone.msn.com/bingame/zuma/default/popcaploader_v6.cab
O16 - DPF: {E5D419D6-A846-4514-9FAD-97E826C84822} (HeartbeatCtl Class) - http://fdl.msn.com/zone/datafiles/heartbeat.cab
O23 - Service: Symantec Event Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Proxy - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccProxy.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Password Validation - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccPwdSvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Settings Manager - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe
O23 - Service: DVD-RAM_Service - Matsu****a Electric Industrial Co., Ltd. - C:\WINDOWS\System32\DVDRAMSV.exe
O23 - Service: Norton AntiVirus Auto Protect Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\navapsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Pml Driver - HP - C:\WINDOWS\System32\HPHipm09.exe
O23 - Service: SAVScan - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Norton Internet Security\Norton AntiVirus\SAVScan.exe
O23 - Service: ScriptBlocking Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\SYMANT~1\SCRIPT~1\SBServ.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Network Drivers Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\SNDSrvc.exe
O23 - Service: Symantec Core LC - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe
O23 - Service: SymWMI Service - Symantec Corporation - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Security Center\SymWSC.exe

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.