Tech Support Guy banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just Rebuilt / Upgraded my computer. 1.4 Ghz Processor,
GForce 3 Graphics, 512 Mb Ram (All DDR stuff). When using any program it seems to "Pulse", like it's trying to refresh itself.
Have tried all refresh rates, no change. Downloaded Monitor drivers, and tried refresh rates again, no joy.

Operating system is Windows Me.

Any suggestions ?.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
How high is your color depth set? If it is 32bit you might try reducing it to 16bit to see if that has any effect.

I see you have 512mb of ram. This is right on the border line of where Windows begins to have problems unless a specific max for vcache is set in system.ini. Try pulling a stick and see if that makes a difference.

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP

Also if your motherboard uses a VIA chipset and you did not install the drivers (4in1) which includes an AGP driver, that could be a factor.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the delay...My computer has been down again.

The chipset is ALiMagic (ASUS A7A266 Motherboard).

I loaded in the chipset drivers and the damn thing crashed.
Tried system restore...nothing.

Flashed the BIOS to get the latest upgrade..no problems there.

Re-Installed everything for about the 20th time (@ 3 Hrs a time).

Hard drive was ticking away, very slow, then came up with a load of errors. New graphics card (ASUS V8200) had updated chipset drivers, tried them. Deep joy. Crashed again, same errors. Everything runs without the chipset drivers not loaded.

Is the motherboard chipset busted ?.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Drivers came with the motherboard CD.

Also got a second set from the Asus graphics card

neither work !.

Any more Idea's.

·
Registered
45,855 Posts
Not really, if we are still specifically addressing the graphics issue, did you test using less ram? There is the possibility of vcache being overloaded and causing the problem described here:

This problem may occur more readily with Advanced Graphics Port (AGP) video adapters because the AGP aperture is also mapped to addresses in the system arena. For example, if Vcache is using a maximum cache size of 800 MB and an AGP video adapter has a 128-MB aperture mapped, there is very little address space remaining for the other system code and data that must occupy this range of virtual addresses.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rog,

Using the link you gave me, I downloaded the latest AGP drivers for this motherboard. The worked.

Now that my problem has been cured, If you stand up and turn around, I will kiss your butt.

Your help has been outstanding.

Cheers

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The clicking I mentioned at the start of this thread turn out to be a resources conflict between the Asus Motherboard and the Asus graphics card. The Motherboard loads a PCI Hard drive folder which can be seen in the System folder of the control panel. It's giving itself an IRQ which the Graphics card wants. I changed the IRQ to 15 and it solved that.

Just some info, if anyone else gets the garbage I have gone thro' to set this up.

Radio Operator

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.